american experience the abolitionists worksheet

David W. Blight, Historian:That was in some ways the turning point of Frederick Douglass's life, and certainly the turning point in the historical life of African Americans. In the face of personal risks beatings, imprisonment, even death abolitionists held fast to their cause, laying the civil rights groundwork for the future and raising weighty constitutional and moral questions that are with us still. Susan Millar Massachusetts Historical Society Jay Hairston John Stauffer, Historian:Douglass's time in Britain was the first time in his life where he experienced a dearth of racism. The news of Robert E. Lee's surrender at Appomattox came the day of Garrison's arrival. New Castle Presbyterian Church, New Castle, DE The louder she screamed, the harder he whipped -- and where the blood ran fastest, there he whipped longest. Floyd Henderson This is not the punishment of man. Douglass loved England and Ireland and Scotland so much that he almost stayed there. Joseph Debona, Jr. Narrator:The one-time radicals were no longer outsiders. Besides, I was growing, and needed room. George Latimer has been hunted down like a wild beast and imprisoned in Leverett Street jail. You may NOT electronically post this product online including to teacher blogs, classroom websites or school networks. The representatives are the betrayers of the people. Garrison told colleagues that he needed to stay with Helen and the new baby. "I will carry the war into Africa," Brown had told his son. Did the Lord give you these gifts so that you could spend your life working in the shipyards? President Lincoln's education with and among the "white trash" of Kentucky was most unfortunate for his moral development, so that there seems to be nothing elevated and noble in his character. Shaun WoodlandWilliam Nell Film Delaware There are 13 LESSONS and a total of 29 FILES in, Immigrants & Reformers Unit: Lessons, Readings, Breakouts & Tests /Middle School, History is a complete social studies curriculum designed for middle school students of Early, History & Social Studies. International Print Museum/Mark Barbour For three days, he was lost in a terrifying haze of fever and delirium. Rob Rapley, Original Concept Developed by The Moorland-Spingarn Research Center, Howard University Jeremy Flora It was all she could do to send accounts of home life to her husband, who was working out of town for the summer. TheNew York Globeurged that, "No public building, not even the streets, must be desecrated by such a gathering of traitors." Angelina Grimk (Jeanine Serralles):Really? The Virginia Film Office Narrator:American Slavery As It Isbecame the best-selling book in the country. What are you talking about? If you don't mind my asking -- how did you first realize that you were a slave? But he was out of their reach. Narrator:The only voices advocating the abolition of slavery were black. Margie Mazzei, Key Craft Services Chief Justice Roger Taney saw the case as an opportunity to settle the question of slavery once and for all. Angelina Grimk (Jeanine Serralles, audio):Your letter was indeed a great surprise, my brother, and yet it was no surprise at all. Narrator:Garrison had launched his crusade in 1829. His eulogy was more than a memorial to one man. John Brown (T. Ryder Smith):Our time has come Narrator:Brown was secretly encamped at a nearby farmhouse with 22 recruits. His reservations about Lincoln had vanished entirely. Although fighting for a common cause, abolitionists Frederick Douglass and William Lloyd Garrison suffered a major falling out. He had once been a successful merchant and tanner, a good provider to his family. But by that time in the South, if you did you were taking a serious risk. They started bombarding it this morning. John Brown (T. Ryder Smith):As I said, the spark -- we are but the spark. "You will receive a zip file which contains a multi-episode bundle of all 3 Video Response Worksheets and Keys in PDF format and access to all 3 TpT Digital Activities for students (worksheets only). William L. Clements Library, University of Michigan / Should earth against my soul engage James Brewer Stewart, Historian:Garrison went to Baltimore and there boarded with free blacks. William Lloyd Garrison (Neal Huff):Brothers and sisters, Mr. and Mrs. Weld have chosen to solemnize their union not by the illegitimate authority of state or church, but by your witness. Some of them were deeply offended by his support of women's rights. The Bridge Sound and Stage, Cambridge, MA Manisha Sinha, Historian:The Civil War moved Garrison farther and farther away from that abstract devotion to peace principles and pacifism that he had held through the years. Franky Garrison (Jacob Washburn):Fort Sumter. Narrator:Many of Garrison's old friends had had enough. This radicalizes the anti-slavery movement, arguably more than anything that had ever happened before. William Lloyd Garrison (Neal Huff):Put on the whole armor of God Narrator:Douglass's new life was fraught with danger. Narrator:As Douglass was meeting with John Brown, a chain of events was being set in motion that would transform the future of slavery, and of America. Wisconsin Historical Society Charmaine Crowell-White Narrator:By the time their six-month tour finally ended in the fall of 1837, Angelina could go no further. Narrator:At dawn the Marines stormed the engine house, capturing Brown and his surviving men. In the years since Angelina Grimk left her home in Charleston, she had moved to Philadelphia and joined her like-minded sister, Sarah. Beecher opposed slavery in principle, but distrusted activists who "recklessly" advocated immediate abolition. Julia Saunders Quizzes with auto-grading, and real-time student data. Douglass would write a lament for the movement they had led, for their youth, for the generation that was passing from the scene. Narrator:For William Lloyd Garrison and Frederick Douglass, it was the last straw. There are 10 lessons and a total of 24 Files in, Immigrants & Reformers Unit. Narrator:The decision hung like a pall over the abolitionist movement, casting Douglass, most of all, into a deep depression. Douglass wrote about, world, and his work and influence helped directly in, - All 3 Episodes - Worksheets and Keys PDF & Digital Bundle, These Video Response Worksheets and Keys are based on, . "While I will continue to write and speak against slavery," Douglass wrote, "I have become less hopeful of its peaceful abolition. Frederick Douglass (Richard Brooks):But if we stoop to bloodshed, we are no better than they are. Three paper mills feeding three printing presses running 24 hours a day, and still the publisher couldn't keep up. All is uncertain. In Cleveland, he spoke to three large rallies in a single day, standing for hours in a cold rain. Carol Berkin, Historian:She was really concerned about the fate of their white masters. David W. Blight, Historian:You've just had a huge blow to your belief that somehow you're going to end slavery in this country by appealing to the Christian soul of the country. There, he could carry on Garrison's campaign to isolate the South, by urging Britons to cut ties with American slaveholders. So perish all compromises with tyranny! They opened the eyes of thousands and put their families . Narrator:Garrison fled into a back alley, and hid away in a carpenter shop. Mrs. Grimk (Crystal Cupp):I've told you before, dear -- that's Henry's business. Sir -- God has placed these mountains here for a reason. The Compromise of 1850 had strengthened the grip of slaveholders over the federal government, and introduced the notorious Fugitive Slave Law. Thomas Winston He would whip to make her scream, and whip to make her hush. John Jenkins. At Fort Sumter, Garrison reminisced about the 30-year anti-slavery struggle, marveling at the transformation that had taken place. As Douglass listened to the proceedings, a friend from New Bedford unexpectedly called on him to speak. They couldn't see that already they had shifted history. And I think this is very appealing to anti-slavery Northerners who are really giving up almost on the political system and on nonviolent resistance. He called Douglass a liar, and vowed to track him down and send him to the cotton fields of the Deep South. One has to see evil in order to be committed to a life of good. Frederick Douglass (Richard Brooks):Mr. Garrison, you must understand how unexpected this is. Others, like Prosser, Vesey, and Turner, were black men and women who had been born into a life of slavery HARRIET BEECHER STOWE In 1811, Harriet Beecher was born in Connecticut. What a moment this was to me! BUY THE MULTI-EPISODE BUNDLE AND SAVE 33%. Carol Berkin, Historian:Angelina attacked slavery not in the beginning because she cared about the slaves. There are 50 questions in all. Angelina Grimk (Jeanine Serralles):Mother, it is my duty to bear testimony against Mrs. Grimk (Crystal Cupp):Angelina, mind your own business. Erica Armstrong Dunbar, Historian:It's an expos about, of course, the horrible treatment of slaves. Northerners were flooding Congress with anti-slavery petitions. Susan Demirjian Sheldon King Tony Horwitz, Author:In the summer of 1855, Kansas has really become the front line in the conflict over slavery. It reveals how the movement shaped history by exposing the fatal flaw of a republic founded on . His friends in Britain had raised money so that he could launch his own anti-slavery newspaper. Susannah McCarthy In the spring of 1846 the United States went to war with Mexico, hoping to gain vast territories in the Southwest. Troublemakers. I have sought in my humble way to see in the distance the white flags of freedom, the time at which the cruel bondage of my people should end. John Brown (T. Ryder Smith):Well, sir: In one stroke we shall rouse this nation. Scott CarterOverseer This worksheet helps students to consider and debate three different strategies available to abolitionists in the 1850s as they worked to end slavery. The final blow came when Garrison published ugly insinuations about an affair between Douglass and Julia Griffiths. Add highlights, virtual manipulatives, and more. We sit here, all of us, debating this point of law, whether the Constitution says this or that, and in the meantime, day after day, year after year, the slaveholders are free to do their worst. Abolitionists had driven another wedge into the fractures of the Union. But if we succeed, our glory as a nation will be complete, our peace will flow like a river, and our foundations will be the everlasting rocks. He and four of the survivors, including Shields Green, were trapped in an engine house at the armory. David W. Blight, Historian:Lincoln calls in these five ministers and he has this back-and-forth with them -- mostly, he gives them a speech. Patrick Phelan Fern Gnesin Dewey Gartland Lois Brown, Historian:For Garrison, the work of abolition was about trying to make people come to a moment of conscience, and act accordingly. Charles Harris Harriet Beecher Stowe (Kate Lyn Sheil):Don't they all? News of the guerilla war flaring in Kansas became the talk of the nation. We will deal the Slave Power such a blow, it shall never recover. They are also designed so that a review of the completed worksheet gives students a basic overall summary of the video. Wallace James, Jr. Tom Phillips Keyboards, Piano, Cello, Music Douglass remembered being unable to listen to the speakers, as he kept his eye on the door. Angelina Grimk (Jeanine Serralles):It is my duty Mrs. Grimk (Crystal Cupp):It is not your duty, Angelina! That is slavery. Ken Perham Special Collections, Fine Arts Library, Harvard University Thomas Coleman Instead of Christ on the cross, she saw an image of a slave being whipped and she wrote the ending ofUncle Tom's Cabin, when Uncle Tom dies. Greg French Early Photography But John Brown's long and bloody struggle was just beginning. Garrison maintained his distance, but like every abolitionist, he wondered where all this upheaval would lead. But they were even more alarmed when the violence moved north. Theodore Weld (Steve Annan):And I reject all authority, all government, save the influence which love gives us over each other. They're going to be murdered. Narrator:The vehemence of the reaction in the South took the abolitionists by surprise. William Lloyd Garrison (Neal Huff, audio):I have labored unremittingly to effect the peaceful abolition of slavery by an appeal to the reason and conscience of the slaveholder. William Lloyd Garrison (Neal Huff):Mr. Douglass! Frederick Douglass (Richard Brooks):Good Lord, man. Individual episode worksheets are $1.49. Once Garrison and the other dignitaries had been seated at the pulpit, a black man and his two daughters approached. Nicholas Keeton The city's vibrant abolitionist community welcomed Douglass with open arms. "Before this law, I might have tried to send him somewhere else," she wrote her sister. It is not light that is needed, but fire; it is not the gentle shower, but thunder. Robert Paziora Charlotte Sudol, Additional Hair/Makeup Joseph Allen They've already been committing it, and now it's let loose the dogs of war. He was a stunning man. Frederick Douglass (Richard Brooks):But how? When news of the upheaval reached Washington, President Franklin Pierce -- an ardent Southern sympathizer -- demonstrated the government's resolve. Nine o'clock became 10, and then 11, and still there was no word. As soon as I heard it, I came here. How can you stand in church every week Mrs. Grimk (Crystal Cupp):You must let it be! I am tormented by the thought of the slave mothers whose babes are torn from them. Frederick Douglass (Richard Brooks, audio):If we fail, we shall go down as we deserve to go down, as a warning to all other nations, which shall come after us. Frederick Douglass (Richard Brooks):All with 22 men? Angelina Grimk (Jeanine Serralles):You know! ", Narrator:After the massacre, Brown and his followers hid out in the wilderness, resurfacing occasionally to battle pro-slavery forces. Only a few can now tell from actual experience something of the darkness and peril that brooded over the land when the anti-slavery movement was born. Matt Nicholas The personal liberty laws set alarm bells ringing throughout the South. On this Julie Roy Jeffrey, Historian:All kinds of rumors had been flying around Philadelphia about the wedding and the guest list and the social amalgamation, or mixing, that had gone on. Center Square Associates Harriet Beecher Stowe (Kate Lyn Sheil, audio):It was at his dying bed, and at his grave, that I learned what a poor slave mother may feel when her child is torn away from her. And he starts to say, "The churches are pro-slavery -- we're coming out of all the churches. Bridgeman Art Library Douglas Sloan Hundreds of thousands of men, white and black, would be swallowed up in the abyss. Scott Carter, Key Set Production Assistants There, far from the violence and upheaval of abolition's front lines, they would take up their most influential work. Charleston Library Society, Charleston, SC He was the real thing, and to a Frederick Douglass, he was also the real thing in terms of actually believing, about as deeply as anybody Douglass had ever met, in racial equality. Antonio Perez Kemp We need the storm, the whirlwind, and the earthquake. Now, the brightest and steadiest of all the shining hosts of our moral sky has silently and peacefully descended below the distant horizon. William Lloyd Garrison (Neal Huff):You'll do it then? Ingrid AlliAunt Hester And then they begin to see the rocks hitting the windows. By the winter of 1845, Frederick Douglass had been touring the anti-slavery circuit for four years. William Lloyd Garrison (Neal Huff):Dear Lord. Steve AnnanTheodore Weld We need not point to the sugar fields of Louisiana or to the rice swamps of Alabama for the bloody deeds of this soul-crushing system, but to the city of pilgrims. Mrs. Grimk (Crystal Cupp):Angelina, what are you talking about? WGBH Educational Foundation The old political alignments had been destroyed by the argument over slavery, and the election was tilting to the candidate of a new party, Republican Abraham Lincoln. John Stauffer, Historian:Suddenly abolitionists are looking prophetic. Douglass's location allows him to be very involved in the Underground Railroad. Tony Horwitz, Author:He stands up without notes and gives one of the greatest speeches in American history. Garrison was too wary of politics to get involved, but he did meet quietly with one of Lincoln's emissaries. His diploma is written on his back. William Lloyd Garrison (Neal Huff, audio):I am willing to be persecuted, imprisoned, and bound for advocating African rights, and I should deserve to be a slave myself, if I shrunk from that duty or danger. Earlier on you were not putting your life into danger if you criticized slavery. Brown spends the same amount of time trying to convince Douglass to go to Harpers Ferry with him to be his right-hand man. Like many Northerners, Stowe was deeply disturbed by the Fugitive Slave Law. Charles Wood Thomas ColemanShields Green On July 4, 1854 in Massachusetts, abolitionist William Lloyd Garrisonburneda copy of the constitution. When the sun rose the next morning, Burns was still in jail, and the city was seething. California wanted to be admitted to the Union as a free state. Garrison was chosen to draw up the organization's charter. There, everything cruel and revolting is carefully concealed from strangers. Get the latest on new films and digital content, learn about events in your area, and get your weekly fix of American history. That left a hole -- I can't express it. Elizabeth Purves Brooks continued beating him until his cane broke. Narrator:When the Compromise was finally sealed in late September, abolitionists were horrified. Gerald Williams, Jr. Lena Drobot, Craft Services Assistants C. A. William Lloyd Garrison (Neal Huff, audio):Oh, it was a sight worth seeing: Those ragged, coatless men and boys in the pit -- the very material of which mobs are made -- cheering the strongest and sublimest anti-slavery sentiments! She walked all the way back a handful of times, but even so, they never let me know her enough to really love her. There is a true partnership that can go forward. She said she never had such an easy time with a baby, and indeed it was the first baby she was able to nurse herself. Catering by Jill I am constantly receiving anonymous letters filled with abominable and bloody sentiments. R. Blakeslee Gilpin, Historian:She realizes that the way to do this was by playing on the heartstrings. He tries to recruit these black men to lead efforts to colonize black folk out of the United States. Russell Scott, Jr. John Stauffer, Historian:For Douglass, what better symbol of democracy and of racial equality is there in the United States is if the federal government arms and gives uniforms to black soldiers and tells them to kill white men. Shelby Crouch In December of 1862, only weeks before the promised date, Lincoln presented Congress with a dramatic peace plan: if the Southern states would lay down their arms, they could keep their slaves for another 40 years. William Britt William Lloyd Garrison (Neal Huff): You must not give or take any quarter. Mrs. Grimk (Crystal Cupp):Yes, Angelina, I have Christian feelings, and you are putting them to the test right now. We'll get him Hey, we'll get him on the way back out! Carol Berkin, Historian:And he writes back to her, "You're young and you have too much pride, and you're not helping the cause." But at the beginning of July, Charley, Stowe's beloved little boy, was taken ill. Joan D. Hedrick, Historian:She called him her summer child. In Charleston, 3,000 people destroyed anti-slavery materials, and then burned Garrison in effigy. Kenneth Peebles West Virginia State Archives, Boyd B. Stutler Collection Narrator:Douglass hurriedly made his way north, his panic mounting as he realized that his fellow passengers were reading newspaper reports calling for his arrest. Somerville Community Access Television, Somerville, MA Frederick Douglass (Richard Brooks, audio):Every once in a while, I could hear my master speaking angrily about "abolitionists." He had to be carried from his jail cell to a cot that was set up in the courtroom. Soon,Uncle Tom's Cabinbegan reaching vast new audiences, including many who had never read a novel, when it was adapted as a wildly popular play. Garrison, Douglass, and Stowe would each meet the president at the White House. She collapsed with typhoid fever. I'm not afraid of you We're not fighting each other, we're fighting the God-damned abolitionists Just relax You back off of me Don't you mess with me, boy. Among those who contributed was the most famous black man in America, the ex-slave Frederick Douglass. Each gave him their heartfelt support. Angelina Grimk (Jeanine Serralles, audio):I know you do not make the laws but I also know that you are the wives and mothers, sisters and daughters of those who do. There is a kind of work that Garrison can do, precisely because he is a white man in America in the 1830s. Lois Brown, Historian:Garrison has to resolve this tension between clearly unapologetic armed resistance and strategy and maneuver, with pacifism and moral suasion. It is nothing but the word of cowardice." In many ways he reflects this for the rest of black America, that while Garrisonian tactics were just, earnest, they simply were not options that he thought would eventually lead to the end of slavery. There is "a class of professed abolitionists in Cincinnati," she wrote, but they are "unfashionable" and are "regarded as a species of moral mono-maniacs.". Meanwhile, a few miles outside the city, anti-slavery activists marked the occasion in a very different spirit. Henceforth, it becomes the date of a new and glorious era in the history of American liberty. In December of 1865, the United States was finally cleansed of its original sin when the 13th Amendment was added to the Constitution, banning slavery in all the states, forever. For this reason, they are now, as never before, looking out into the world for a place of retreat, and asylum. Getty Images It had been four years to the day since federal troops evacuated Sumter. Harriet Beecher Stowe (Kate Lyn Sheil, audio):I could not help, nor soothe, nor do one thing to mitigate his cruel suffering -- do nothing but pray that he might die soon.

Replacement Barrel For Swedish Mauser, Robert Allbritton Wife, Oxford, Ms Arrests Mugshots, How Many Ww2 Veterans Are Still Alive Uk 2020, 300 Savage Model 99 Serial Number Lookup, Articles A