compare ezekiel 1 and revelation 4

The people will eat rationed food in anxiety and drink rationed water in despair,(DZ) 17for food and water will be scarce. Four beasts.Living beings. Ezek.37:27, The trees which bear fruit every month, with leaves for healing. one sat on the throne--the Eternal Father: the Creator ( Revelation 4:11 ): also compare Revelation 4:8 with Revelation 1:4 , where also the Father is designated, "which is, and was, and is to come." In Revelation 15:2 the baptism with the fire of trial is meant. The scene is changed from earth to heaven. The Book Being Opened: Chapters 2-3: Chapter 5: 3. Get Your Bible Minute in Your Inbox Every Morning. 11. Here is the transition from "the things which are" (Re 1:19), the existing state of the seven churches, as a type of the Church in general, in John's time, to "the things which shall be hereafter," namely, in relation to the time when John wrote. 24When the creatures moved, I heard the sound of their wings, like the roar of rushing(AE) waters, like the voice(AF) of the Almighty,[b] like the tumult of an army. But it is more probable that, as they take precedence even of the crowned elders in their ceaseless worship, they represent redeemed humanity, Birks says: They seem to represent four distinct classes, each federally united among those blessed saints who occupy the foremost places in the kingdom of glory. For Stuarts view see Suggestive Notes.. Proceeded., continually proceed. A human being. He afterward heard other sounds - the sounds of praise; but the first notes that fell on his ear were a direction to come up there and receive a revelation respecting future things. As the high-soaring intelligence, the eagle, forms the contrasted complement to practical labor, the ox bound to the soil; so holy judicial vengeance against evil, the lion springing suddenly and terribly on the doomed, forms the contrasted complement to human sympathy, the man. When I saw it, I fell facedown,(AO) and I heard the voice of one speaking. and the fourth beast was like a flying eagle. Ezekiel 39:3-6 says Gog will be defeated and Ezekiel 39:17-20 states the birds will eat the flesh of the armies. [d] 13It was the sound of the wings of the living creatures(CA) brushing against each other and the sound of the wheels beside them, a loud rumbling sound. 20Wherever the spirit would go, they would go,(AB) and the wheels would rise along with them, because the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels. Compare at the giving of the law on Sinai, Exodus 19:16 . be--come to pass. . The center of the fire looked like glowing metal,(J) 5and in the fire was what looked like four living creatures. . He who sat on the throne is not named (see Jewish reticence in relation to the sacred Name), but He is kept before us in the whole book, to remind us that the great world-drama moves forward ever under the eyes of the ruling One. Ezekiels Vision of God - Now it came to pass in the thirtieth year, in the fourth month, on Thank you! VISION OF GOD'S THRONE IN HEAVEN; THE FOUR AND TWENTY ELDERS; THE FOUR LIVING CREATURES. (DP), 9Take wheat and barley, beans and lentils, millet and spelt;(DQ) put them in a storage jar and use them to make bread for yourself. New Jerusalem. By submitting your email address, you understand that you will receive email communications from Bible Gateway, a division of The Zondervan Corporation, 3900 Sparks Drive SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546 USA, including commercial communications and messages from partners of Bible Gateway. Ordinarily, the jasper is a stone of various wavy colors, somewhat transparent: in Revelation 21:11 it represents watery crystalline brightness. The seal Does anyone know why Ezekiel's visions differ between the cherub and ox? the first voice which I heard--the voice which I heard at first, namely, in Revelation 1:10 ; the former voice. Probably adverb of comparative from hos; which how, i.e. Copyright 2023, Bible Study Tools. On both sides of it were written words of lament and mourning and woe.(BJ). The heavenly Bow spake to her of the Deluge, the shipwreck of the world for sin; it spake to her also of calm and sunshine after the storm.Wordsworth. (DH) 3Then take an iron pan,(DI) place it as an iron wall between you and the city and turn your face toward(DJ) it. according to the good pleasure of His will WebRevelation's four living beings. The Four Plagues: Chapter 5: Chapter 6:1-8: 4. (DV) I have never defiled myself. Ezekiel 1:1220 suggests that they are in constant motion around the throne. 3And he said to me, Son of man, eat what is before you, eat this scroll; then go and speak to the people of Israel. 2So I opened my mouth, and he gave me the scroll to eat. Jasper.The ancient jasper was the translucent stone now known as chalcedony, a dark, opaque green (Exodus 28:20; Revelation 21:19). Here the idea is that the pavements or floors are all of precious and diaphonous stones, appearing to him who should walk upon them pellucid, like the waters of the ocean. The dwelling place of God is with men. 12Then the Spirit lifted me up,(BZ) and I heard behind me a loud rumbling sound as the glory of the Lord rose from the place where it was standing. The Bible often uses symbols and metaphorical terms to describe people, places, and things. the honour . The scene is changed from earth to heaven. Re 4:1-11. Sign up now for the latest news and deals from Bible Gateway! The Father in essence is invisible, but in Scripture at times is represented as assuming a visible form. which I heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me, which said, Come up hither, and I will shew thee, was as it were of a trumpet talking with me, and I will show thee things which must be hereafter. The righteous things that person did will not be remembered, and I will hold you accountable for their blood. All Thy works praise Thee in all places of Thy dominion, and Thy saints shall bless Thee. See the ascriptions of praise to Jehovah in 1 Chronicles 19:10-13; Psalms 96:2-3; Psalms 96:7-10. He spoke to me and said: Go, shut yourself inside your house. One oldest manuscript, B, and Syriac insert "the Holy One." Or it may be a symbol of the Divine Spirit, whose sevenfold gifts are spoken of. Rev.7:17. 19When the living creatures moved, the wheels beside them moved; and when the living creatures rose from the ground, the wheels also rose. the seven Spirits of God; Revelation 1:4 , 21:23 , Psalms 119:105 ) and fiery purifier of the godly, and consumer of the ungodly ( Matthew 3:11 ). 4 cannot but strike the mind of every intelligent reader. Ezekiels revelation of the temple was imparted to him on the 19 th Jubilee of Israel since they had crossed the Jordan into the Promised Land under Joshua. As the watery brightness represents God's holiness, so the fiery red His justice executing fiery wrath. Numbers 2:2 Every man of the children of Israel shall pitch by his own standard, with the ensign of their father's house: far off about the tabernacle of the congregation shall they pitch. WebThe books of Revelation and Ezekiel are basically the same books written with the same biblical imagery. (DA) 25And you, son of man, they will tie with ropes; you will be bound so that you cannot go out among the people. So the twenty-four throned and crowned elders are typified by the twenty-four chiefs of the twenty-four courses of priests, "Governors of the sanctuary, and governors of God" ( 1Chronicles 24:5 , 25:1-31 ). It resembled the former "voice" in this, that it was "like the sound of a trumpet," but besides that there does not seem to have been anything that would suggest to him that it came from the same source. In Revelation 4:68, four living beings (Greek: , zion) are seen in John's vision. WebRevelation Series - Handout #5 DANIEL AND REVELATION Similarities and Differences Similarities: 1. (BR) 9I will make your forehead(BS) like the hardest stone, harder than flint. Speaking - saying ( - ). (BO) 7But the people of Israel are not willing to listen(BP) to you because they are not willing to listen to me, for all the Israelites are hardened and obstinate. They were both prophesying the destruction of Jerusalem, and the establishment of God's kingdom through His Son, Christ Jesus. John's object is to show that the six wings in each did not interfere with that which he had before declared, namely, that they were "full of eyes before and behind." The more we abstract ourselves from all corporeal things the more fit we are for communion with God; the body is a veil, a cloud, and a clog to the mind in its transactions with God. As the communication respecting the seven churches opened with a suitable vision of the Lord Jesus as Head of the Church, so the second part opens with a vision suitable to the matter to be revealed. Webrows from LXX Ezek 2:1, the significance of this has not been grasped. WebRevelation 4, Bullinger's Companion Bible Notes, One of over 125 Bible commentaries freely available, this commentary, by E.W. WebBut there are remarkable parallels between Revelation and Ezekiel, two books written about 600 years apart. Revelation 4:5. In 4:1, John is suddenly taken to heaven and another story breaks out. to look upon--Greek, "in sight," or "appearance." The vision of God. Yet the thus constituted, are themselves symbolic of the attributes of the Godhead. The twenty-four elders represent the Judo-Christian and the Gentile Church, twelve for each of these two moieties of the primitive Church, in conformity with the types of the twelve patriarchs, the twelve tribes, and the twelve apostles.F. The reference is to future events; and the meaning is, that there would be disclosed to him events that were to occur at some future period. The former represent the forces of nature, which, in the ancient religions, sat upon the throne, personified in the Pagan deities, but which, in the monotheism of the Bible, play a more modest part, and are employed in bearing up the throne of Godthat is to say, in establishing His kingdom. The simple meaning here is, that John had a vision of what is in heaven as if there had been such an opening made through the sky, and he had been permitted to look into the world above. They fall 7. 23Under the vault their wings were stretched out one toward the other, and each had two wings covering its body. WebEZEKIEL: REVELATION: 1. The other, the Son, who is the secondary cause, easy to be approached, in that he is God and man in one person; Re 5:5-9. With God to will is to effect: to determine is to perform. (AJ) 27I saw that from what appeared to be his waist up he looked like glowing metal, as if full of fire, and that from there down he looked like fire; and brilliant light surrounded him. (K) In appearance their form was human,(L) 6but each of them had four faces(M) and four wings. Time: Daniel 4: 23,25; 7:25 | Revelation 12:14; 13:5 4. D. LONGINUS [On the Sublime, 9], a heathen, praises this description of God's power by "the lawgiver of the Jews, no ordinary man," as one worthy of the theme. Or prolongation petaomai, or contracted ptaomai middle voice of a primary verb; to fly. The third has the face of a man; and this is indicative of reason and intelligence. Ezekiel 38:16 and chapter 39:1-2 says that Gog will invade and surround Israel. So in Genesis 1:3 , "Let there be light, and there was light": in Hebrew an expressive tautology, the same word and tense and letters being used for "let there be," and "there was," marking the simultaneity and identity of the will and the effect. (Tyre) Ezek.27, Earth lit with God's glory. 5I have assigned you the same number of days as the years of their sin. Succa, c. 5. sect. Thus concludes this magnificent exordium to the principal visions of the book. 4Then lie on your left side and put the sin of the people of Israel upon yourself. Rev.18:1. . And one of them was called the great door of the temple; and he that slew the daily sacrifice, did not slay till he heard the sound of that door when it was opened (g); so here at the opening of the door in heaven, in the church, of which the temple was a type, the voice of the Son of God is heard as the sound of a trumpet, talking loudly and familiarly to John: which said, come up hither; from the isle of Patmos, where he was, up to heaven; not into the third heaven, where Paul was caught up, but rather up into the Gospel church, the Jerusalem which is above; though this, as before, is to be understood in a visionary way, in like manner as Ezekiel was lifted up by the Spirit between the earth and the heavens; and so John, in a vision, was called up from Patmos into the air, where he had a representation of the church made unto him: and I will show thee things which must be hereafter; in the world, in the Roman empire, and in the church of God, to the end of the world; not but that there were some things shown him, as before, in the church prophecy, which had been, and were, and which was done to give him a complete view of things from first to last: and these things were shown in the following visions of the seals, trumpets, and vials, and by the Lord Jesus Christ, who talked with him, and to whom this revelation was given to show unto his servants; and it was of things that "must" be, because determined and resolved upon in the unalterable purposes and decrees of God. thou--emphatic in the Greek: "It is THOU who didst create." It is strange that any should have maintained that this is not the voice of Christ. round about the throne--one in the midst of each side of the throne. Revelation 4:8. Thus, primarily, the pure ether which separates God's throne from John, and from all things before it, may be meant, symbolizing the "purity, calmness, and majesty of God's rule" [ALFORD]. Instead of being like the throne of earthly kings, i.e., resting upon inanimate and lifeless substances, its support is constituted of living, moving, rational creatures, ever watchful, and ever ready to move, as Ezekiel says, like a flash of lightning (Ezekiel 1:14). WebThe sardine, our cornelian, or else a fiery red. Ezekiel 1: 5 and in the fire was what looked like four living creatures. Trumpet.Revelation 1:10. ALFORD connects this with the following sentence: "All round and within (their wings) they are (so two oldest manuscripts, A, B, and Vulgate read) full of eyes." 5 is intimately connected with it, but it is rather to be regarded as a special proem to chap. Do not be afraid, though briers and thorns(BA) are all around you and you live among scorpions. Rainbow.Symbol of Divine mercy, beautiful in itself, and veiling the splendour. (g) Misn. (Judah and Samaria) Ezek.16, 23, Lament over the Great City. Amen." English Version is good Greek. Article Images Copyright 2023 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. An animal. seven lamps . One face is that of a man, another face is that of a lion, another face is that of an ox, another face is that of an eagle. These cherubim used two of their wings for flying and the other two for covering their bodies (Ezekiel 1:6, 11, 23). I looked; I looked again, hoping and being desirous to see something further as to the mind of God. all things--Greek, "the all things": the universe. 2He said to me, Son of man,[c](AP) stand(AQ) up on your feet and I will speak to you. And I will show thee things which must be hereafter; not which have been, (for to what purpose had that been)? (G), 4I looked, and I saw a windstorm(H) coming out of the north(I)an immense cloud with flashing lightning and surrounded by brilliant light. I was, &c.--Greek, "I became in the Spirit" I was completely rapt in vision into the heavenly world. Ezekiel saw a new temple (house of God) at the centre of a new Israel, where the people loyally served God (Ezekiel chapters 40 to 48). Ezek.4043, Jerusalem is likened to Sodom. 2. Milligan, D.D. Both highlight the Great Controversy: Daniel 10; Revelation 12 5. The cherubim here have six wings, like the seraphim in Isaiah 6:2 ; whereas the cherubim in Ezekiel 1:6 had four wings each. His throne is supported by four living creatures, and twenty-four elders fall down before it. Such a vision, as to this particular, John had at Christs baptism, Matthew 3:1-17, and Stephen when he was stoned. Heaven and earth may pass away. The first has the appearance of a lion; and the lion is the king of wild beasts, and an image borrowed from him is indicative of power, strength, sway. Of course, all this is figurative, but it is such language as all people naturally use. Of the Old Testament texts, however, Isaiah makes Revelation more understandable to me than Ezekiel. So Revelation 16:10 , "the seat (rather, throne) of the beasts," in hellish parody of God's throne. WebThe phrase after this (meta tauta in ancient Greek) in Revelation 1:19 is repeated twice in Revelation 4:1. Revelation 1:4 John to the seven churches that are in Asia: Grace to you and peace from him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven spirits who are Start for FREE. 6. When lost sinners now made clean lift their voices loud and strong. Which said.The voice is put for the person speaking. He does not speak of the weapons with which the Christian soldier prepares himself for the battle, but of the victory with which, as if it were his armour, he is, from the first, equipped. (AT) 4The people to whom I am sending you are obstinate and stubborn. Do not be afraid of what they say or be terrified by them, though they are a rebellious people. were created--by Thy definite act of creation at a definite time. Compare Ezekiel 1:1; Matthew 3:16; Acts 7:56; Acts 10:11. (City with 12 gates) Ezek.4048. crystal--not imperfectly transparent as the ancient common glass, but like rock crystal. It is but the chorus of a portion. Try it FREE. by contrast to the four world powers represented by four beasts. Rev.20:46. They are, taken as a whole in respect to their ultimate design, symbolic of the all-pervading power, providence, and government, of God, who uses them as His instruments. (f) Misn. The book being opened Chapters 2-3 Chapter 5 3. But TREGELLES translates, "Upon the twenty-four thrones (I saw: omitted in two oldest manuscripts) elders sitting": which is more probable, as the twenty-four elders were not mentioned before, whereas the twenty-four thrones were. Six wings.Compare Isaiah 6:1-4. They are represented by the four living creatures which are supposed to be the chefs duvre of the animal creationthe lion, the bull, the eagle, and man. Ezekiel 10:14, And every one had four faces: the first face was the face of a cherub, and the second face was the face of a man, and the third the face of a lion, and the fourth the face of an eagle. In both 5, we have the victory of the Redeemer over Nicodemus, the woman of Samaria, and the Galilean nobleman. As the watery brightness represents God's holiness, so the fiery red His justice executing fiery wrath. The point of union between the two views given above is: Christ is the perfect realization of the ideal of man; Christ is presented in His fourfold aspect in the four Gospels respectively. The unity of any being contains two ideas. He will be filling all our thoughts with Christ. the first voice which I heardthe voice which I heard at first, namely, in Re 1:10; the former voice. Rev.11:12. The supports of the throne.The four living creatures, as the representatives of all creation. The characteristics of these four chiefs of creation unite to make a perfect picture of the spirit of true service, which should be brave as the lion, patient as the ox, aspiring as the eagle, intelligent as man. The number four is, in the Apocalypse, almost always associated with the earth. Ezek.16:4653, The cup of God's wrath. give--"shall give" in one oldest manuscript. WebRevelation 4:1 Commentaries: After these things I looked, and behold, a door standing open in heaven, and the first voice which I had heard, like the sound of a trumpet speaking with me, said, "Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after these things." Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers, NT Prophecy: Revelation 4:7 The first creature was like a lion (Rev. Talking with me - As of a trumpet that seemed to speak directly to me. 2Then lay siege to it: Erect siege works against it, build a ramp(DG) up to it, set up camps against it and put battering rams around it. WebDuring the events described in Ezekiel 4, Ezekiel himself was in captivity with other Jews in Babylon. Within.This may mean, inside their wings; and these eyes were seen when the wings were spread. Holy, holy, holy--The "tris-hagion" of the Greek liturgies. As the rainbow was first reflected on the waters of the world's ruin, and continues to be seen only when a cloud is brought over the earth, so another deluge, namely, of fire, shall precede the new heavens and earth: the Lord, as here, on His throne, whence ( Revelation 4:5 ) proceed "lightnings and thunderings," shall issue the commission to rid the earth of its oppressors: but then, amidst judgment, when other men's hearts fail them for fear, the believer shall be reassured by the rainbow, the covenant token, round the throne (compare DE BURGH, Exposition of Revelation). was as it wereOmit was, it not being in the Greek. Almighty--answering to "Lord of hosts" (Sabaoth), Isaiah 6:3 . Six wings.Compare Isaiah 6:1-4. 18Their rims were high and awesome, and all four rims were full of eyes(AA) all around. Revelation 4:1-11 . Each appeared to be made like a wheel intersecting a wheel. And--omitted in the two oldest manuscripts, Vulgate, Syriac. Revelation 4:7. An Anticipative Triumph-Song.The fourth and fifth chapters are to be regarded as a song of triumph sung even before the contest begins, and conveying to us an assurance of what will be the issue.

Wyckoff Heights Medical Center Covid Vaccine Schedule, Articles C