crater festival 1978 lineup

@volleymom2 i think ankles remembers stuff that hed rather have forgotten! crater festival 1978 lineupparis march 2022 weather. I was wounded in Vietnam and was sent to Hawaii from the hospital in Japan. Great sitting on gozas on the grass. seawalker: Wrong brand of bea in the handotherwise, that be me. I think it was 74 when I went. Wish I had one from the 71 festival. Flo & Eddie provided the entertainment on the flight to Hawaii, Fleetwood Mac was the headliner. Kokua Valiants. That experience I will never forget..Aloha(: Hi Mike. Memories. The band played one of the early sets. Unfortunately I missed America. He had a big tree branch that he carried around. One of my boys used to work in the crater doing maintenance at the to man a booth giving out info on Lions Club and also T-shirts. He always was on it even with Sly! As the years went by, the festivals stretched on to last two days straight, the participants mushroomed in a haze of smoke. Mackie Feary Band As they were playing this song the doves were flying around the perimeter of the crater and when the song ended all the doves lifted out of the crater and flew away. I went to the last 2 crater concerts.I think I was about 16 or 17. The 1977 festival was held July 3-4, and the line-up included: Journey Graham Central Station(full-on thump bump funk). Part of the magic of Hawaii, the most magical years of my life. Cheech & Chong My brother helped my sis and I sneak in over the crater. Nuff said. Event. Would love to know the full list of performers. crater festival 1978 lineup. The Lesson, (UK) - World Premiere . Enjoy! However, DLNR voted against commercial use in order to conserve the semi-wild nature of the park as much as possible. All I remember was the ton of booths saying how bad drug use was. Then it showed this guy randomly jump in front of a moving car for no reason all all even though he hadnt used drugs for a couple of years because he used them before. Just dont have concert venues like that anymore.sadly. "It would be a steady stream of people. Diamond Head dropped its fatigues, ushering free-spirited throngs to its annual Sunshine Music Festival, referred to more commonly as the Crater Fest. Actor David Carradine, who was having big success with his popular television show Kung Fu, and his girlfriend Barbara Hershey were also at that event. I am looking for a flyer/handbill from the 1970 Jimi Hendrix Aug 1st at the HIC. Damn, I miss those days!, I was so into the Crater Festivalsmy friends and I caught the 6 o clock bus and by the time we got there it was around 8 a.m. THE CRATER CELEBRATION. had a great time, dont remember much so that must be a sign eh? I only remember one other band that played, local guys with brass, electric guitars, lidat. The first we walked through the the tunnel the other two we hiked over from the Diamond Head south east side. Thai Sticks, Kona Gold yup and yup, but Puna Butter? I was 15 and on the road to ruin. Hollywood. Jumped on the Bus and had a great day ! Somehow the hot outdoor setting, inside Diamond Head is sorta barren, and the buzz in the air was more conducive to just hanging out and enjoying the scenery, which I did. Diamond Head Festival Of Life | Concerts Wiki | Fandom 28,131 pages Explore Wiki Content Community Sign In Register Diamond Head Festival Of Life View source December 31, 1975-January 1, 1976 Diamond Head Crater, Waikiki, HI Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted. Hendrix was supposed to be there but I think he got hung up on Maui. I was there too awesome show by all although much of the day we were in a FOG of one sort or another. By Castle Hoonanea Team | Photos Honolulu Star-Advertiser. Great memories. I was so into the Crater Festivals my friends and I caught the 6 o clock bus and by the time we got there it was around 8. Im still laughing hahahahahahahaha! I was only 11 at that one, but I went to every one after that. Its a blur! To jog your memories and put you there, heres a few pictures: Do you remember attending the crater festivals? Good times. The Bright Eye Band: Chuck DeFrancis (lead guitar & vocals), Martin Samuel (drums), Jim Kesilika (bass guitar & vocals), Chris Bovard (lead guitar & vocals). I was one of the producers of the event sponsored by an organization I worked for. It mustve been that same Teen Fair that you worked. . lol. "(Protect Kahoolawe Ohana activist) George Helm was one of the first artists to combine nationalism and music," said John Berger, Star-Bulletin music critic. Movies and postcards have helped turn the crater into Hawaiis most recognizable landmark, and social media certainly hasnt ebbed the attractions soaring popularity. a 1968 VW Bus with a cooler filled with beer. https://www.pinterest.com/claytonchun/diamond-head-music-festival/, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONvh-imtzRY, http://www.hawaiibase.com/wiki/Diamond_Head_Crater_Festivals. LEAHI 78, Cecilio & Kapono Im happy to still be around and reading comments from some of the 24,000 who enjoyed that amazing event! The crowds were enormous. No sound, but great footage of the crowds. I think I bought my MXR Phase 90 there. Sorry, didnt mean to hijack the thread. Sunrise to Sunset. At this time. But that doesnt stop me from starting a blog post about the event and having all of you share your memories of attending the Crater Festivals. @Mike in Waipio I remember my dad taking me to some kind of fair at the HIC exhibition hall when I was around 8 or so. Great times indeed! A lot of military folk, probably future Vietnam vets, guys smoking doobies & a few topless girls. As you know, that version of Fleetwood Mac went on to become hugely successful. Hey..me againsorry Santana wasnt at the first one in Diamondhead. The occasion was the wedding of Crown Prince Ludwig of Bavaria (King from 1825) and . I was there in 71.Walked through the tunnel the day before and climbed up to almost to the top of a ridge to spend the night and get in free. The best of times. That was a big thrill for us that day! My second was in 1972; Leon Russell at the HIC with a girl named Terry. Missed the one with the fire. Because of New Year Day traditions, I never attended a Crater Festival. I was a young marine stationed at Kaneohe MCAS. Comments. I collect the festival posters and am looking for the one from Sunshine 73, Jan. 1st. st lawrence county police blotter; how soon after gallbladder surgery can i get a tattoo; taurus horoscope today and tomorrow; grubhub acquisition multiple Worked for Easy Music at the time and we did sound at several events in Honolulu. Thank you Hi, I would like to see photos. I am asking $1,800 for the poster + shipping. Otherwise, were talking major teenage beer gut. We were still in high school. My teenage jaw dropped., The one in 76 was the best! About 30 from our booth was a stage. Mahalo Rodney Lee for the blog site. I remember Steve Miller, Its A Beautiful Day, Elvin Bishop, and Quicksilver performing. Above one stretch of stairs, a series of freestanding overhead beams, whose purpose now seems perplexing, were once used to place camouflaging. Ox (Seawind). Cheech & Chong was my favorite of the day. Ive been to a couple, but the one with Carlos Santana and Buddy Miles stands out. Mahalo. Hi, do you remember in 1975 (I think June/July timeframe) a floating barge/island being built in front of the Outrigger Hotel and a big stage production with fireworks, etc being performed? Those were good years in Hawaii. Gedo the next Jimi Hendrix, or something like that, will be there. A home movie, so theres family & friends shots in there too. Some of you mentioned the Young Rascals, which reminded me of this. Jerry Lunch was the attorney for the festival. . How did you know that? My brother was an amazing artist. Nrdlingen (German: [nt.l.n] (); Swabian: Nearle or Nearleng) is a town in the Donau-Ries district, in Swabia, Bavaria, Germany, with a population of approximately 20,674.It is located approximately 115 km (71 mi) east of Stuttgart, and 145 km (90 mi) northwest of Munich.It was built in an impact crater 15 million years old and 25 km in diameterthe Nrdlinger Riesof a . I used to put posters up for Moffatt, Rosene, and JFL too. On July 1st, 1978, nearly 100,000 people crammed inside the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, during the hottest day of the decade for the first real stadium rock show in the south. saw hendrix at the HIC and the art park on halloween in 69(? Jan. 1, 1973. Watch this throwback clip of the scene below and read along to some memories collected by friends and family, and online commenters, who attended the famous Honolulu festivities: .embed-container { position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.25%; height: 0; overflow: hidden; max-width: 100%; } .embed-container iframe, .embed-container object, .embed-container embed { position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; width: 100%; height: 100%; }, They would helicopter the big bands into the crater for their performances., Everybody was wanting to say it was the Hawaiian Woodstock. Oye Como Va. Now i remember it as having been one of the most beautiful experiences in my life. A transcendental experience. Elvin Bishop LOL, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ-rFHQVxZA&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=ALzxNYRMVOCRhwa-FckfObeKs5RK3Dcpuv. Next one for sure! Probably explains why we climbed over the side of Diamond Head to get in. Collectors item for sure, keep it flat and protected. I was in the Army and after a year in Nam I was allowed to live in Hawaii for 10 months before returning home to California. They did not disappoint. 1971. "I don't know how well he would have survived in today's musical climate. On the second day, January 1, Sly Stone joined Billy Preston during his set and the two of them put on a great performance together. Tom Sellers was a hot illustrator/designer in those days, had a harbor building studio by Aloha Tower. @Jadd I remember Bobbie McGee! Im 70 now Aloha. Throughout the years they became synonymous as local New Years Eve/Day and Fourth of July events, attracting more than 75,000 people, dancing and chilling out under the hot Hawaiian sun to some of the most influential music of the period. Remembered broadly as the Diamond Head Crater Festivals, sometimes called the Sunshine Festival, these concerts brought out heavyweights of the era like Carlos Santana, America, Styx, Journey, War and Tower of Power, alongside Hawaii talent like Cecilio & Kapono and the Mackey Feary Band. Had a great time with lots of help from friends. How did you know that? We had a little smoke, but the pot brownies offered at one of the booths were fantaaastic, truly mellow and of all things, on an Army Base inside of Diamond Head Crater, still gets me, haha , Aloha, Mackey Feary Band Thats where I met my wife! i was a little young for the crater festivals when they first started, probably still a little young when they ended! I think my friend Autumn might have sat in with you a time or two over the years. I was fifteen and I was visiting friends on the island. Hey M, you get the original Tom Sellers poster? Prior to the 1st Fest we did a much smaller event at Kapiolani Park were we gave away free bananas and a surf board. Those were interesting times, doesnt seem like its real, looking back. Didnt some of the crew from Thayers also migrate over there.Dean Goodearl, Kip Wilburn, others?? Great concert, one local band with female dancer was unbelievable. Seals and Crofts came on before them and everyone was square dancing to one of their songs. We was cracking up! i enjoy your blog, just sort of fell into it but will come back now. Featuring Canned Heat When: Tonight, doors open at 8:15 p.m. Where: South Seas Village at the Hawaiian Hut, 410 Atkinson Drive Tickets: $22 in advance at Tower Video, Tower Records Kahala and Pearl Kai, Hungry Ear Kailua, Rainbow Books University, and MWR Kunia; $25 at the door Call: 941-5205 Hello JC Eddie Kamae & The Sons of Hawaii Dont remember their name. It (Waikiki) has changed so much it is hard to remember it as it use to be. Hawaii being our last stop before heading to home base in Port Angeles Wa. @hemajang, not sure if its a Tom Sellers poster, I have to take a look. Wow, cool facts @Steve! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONvh-imtzRY, @tankobu- yeah, I remember food was hard to get, cant even remember what I ate. Will pay fair price or can trade for other Hawaii concert posters I have from the 70s. Good times. Thanks for jogging so many musical memories through the years. Of course dont remember much, looking at guys, very hot & very stoned! Promoters Polynesian Enterprises (Bob Kent and Steve Eastwood) in association with Calgarys Fire Productions (Chris Dobbin, Anthony Gregory and Joel Margolis)chartered a DC8, painted it Red,White & Blue w/stars, of course, and flew the entire entourage {Sly Stone missed the flight and flew over later Stevie Wonder had to cancel at the last minute) to Hawaii in what had to be one of the most infamous drunken, drug hazed flights since Joe Cockers Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour. My body turned 80 on May 1st. Let me know if youd be up for sharing! king von why he told roblox id . Can anybody help? Being an avid concert goer since early 60s in CA, you can guess how excited I was to hear about The Crater. Got to hand Linda Ronstadt her check at the bank on Monday morning. Billy Preston Better than funky, that was the Kapakahi Jug Band wasnt it, you, Duane Prebble and others. Thanks @Larry! The odd thing wasn't that men and women were walking around naked, some smoking marijuana at noon in Diamond Head Crater. am especially looking for the last Crater Festival in 1978 and the paper poster of Janis Joplin from July 1970. Anybody know? Since we only played original songs we had to move back to the mainland to get enough gigs. We were just kids back then. Wendy Waldman And the problems were minimal.". Bachman Turner Overdrive I was working at Makaha Inn when they were here & met them all outside the West Course Pro Shop. I didnt know that Little Feat was playing! That most countercultural of years1969ushered in a wild incongruity at the park. [email protected]. A grad of 73 from Waianae, the rest of your life is still way ahead of you. I worked security at the first one in 1970. Please say there will be a next one! Memories. I remember watching it being built and the performance, but cannot find any info doing a web search. Few days later Im in the Crater for an incredible two day show Lydia Pense was fantastic, Flo & Eddie and Turtles were humerous, Fleetwood Mac right after their breakthrough album, Graham Central Station had the place on their feet. What a bummer!! "We had a lot of music come in -- the performers with the lyrics that were influencing the generations: Grateful Dead, Byrds, the Rolling Stones came three times, just about everybody -- except the Beatles," Moffatt said. Me and my boys also went to those concerts and we from Kalihi too. I was always the one up front by the stage clapping my hands in the air and rocking out. I followed these other stony guys including this ole man. More than 15,000 people were expected to attend. Fast forward to 1978 The Crater Festival then called, The Leahi Crater Festival was destined to be the final days of this iconic festival. I was 19, with my future wife Joyce who took me to the Islands for the first time. I was a marine stationed at the Marine Core base.Went both days.It was a blast.Wish i could of said the same about the sun burn.Didnt see that one coming. We were sad to hear it, but at least we can say we were there for it with 20,000 fans attending. They performed on December 31, 1975, which was the first day of the Does anyone remember the concert that was held at Hawaii Raceway Park (Campbell Industrel Park) in 1974 or 1975.If I remember Sly and the Family Stones,War and there were a few other name bands playing. My Dad worked overseas so, he, my brother who was stationed in Hawaii at the time, my sister and I all met up in Hawaii of 10 days over xmas 77. This was an incredible festival. 1975, I remember reading the Advertisers build up to the crater festival. Still remember some of the Artwork they had on the walls. I was just reminiscing about the Crater Festivals. They played three or four consecutive nights and we were close to the stage.

Famous Black Harvard Graduates, Male Actors With Small Heads, Articles C