precision rifle muzzle brake

Unlike other models that have vent holes all over, the TK Compensator has directed vent ports on the top and . This post reviews the rifles suppressors and muzzle brakes the best precision rifle shooters were using in 2014. Free shipping for many products! Rated 0 out of 5 $ 249.99. I do appreciate the compliment. Here is an excerpt from my sound test post that gives what I think is a helpful analogy here: Some of these brakes are clearly louder than others, but make no mistake theyre all very loud. Joseph, Im not sure why Surefire isnt more popular among this group. Best Rifle Ammo for the Money 19 Brands Tested! Is there any evidence that the improved harmonics of the rifle by adding a muzzle break have a positive impact on precision if you take the shooter out of the equation? Thats why these self-timing muzzle brakes have become so popular! Recently, I fired over an Oehler 35p, Magneto Speed, and LabRadar all at the same time. I was impressed with the West Texas Ordnance muzzle brake, especially based on its size. Fast & Free shipping on many items! But there are a lot of good options in this test. Ultimately, the nut behind the gun is almost always the weakest link. But I did actually fire all of these muzzle brakes a lot. Pingback: Which muzzle brake for my build? The tolerances on the integral locking nut have to be really tight, so its more complexto make and therefore costs more. I took a peak at them, and thats an interesting design. So here is the overall performance ratings, based on what you guys said was most important. Those guys can typically contour it to make the barrel diameter (shown below), although Im not sure if they could do that for a 9/16 OD barrel. I chose your raw data because I noticed in your final summary you used a scale of a scale and that didnt seem to capture the whole picture. It's clear when you walking around most major precision rifle competitions that the majority of rifles have a muzzle brake on them. No more guessing where the brake ports will line up once you tighten it down! Honestly, my writing style doesnt lend itself well to blogs or online format. That surprised me. I do appreciate the suggestion. The reason the tank did well on the muzzle rise test was because it redirected the appropriate amount of gas upward for that particular rifle (based on its weight and the distribution of that weight, and the amount of gas that cartridge produced). Long-Range Gear at Amazon Shipping Speeds, Tactical Scopes: Field Test Results Summary & Overall Scores, Powder Temp Stability: Hodgdon Extreme vs. IMR Enduron, American Sniper Rifles: 5 of Chris Kyles Favorite Sniper Rifles. If Im shooting more of a run-and-gun match with lots of barricades, I may go with a muzzle brake to maximize recoil reduction and the ability to stay on target to see my impacts. I expected the diameter of the bullet hole in the brake to make more of a difference. order some pizza and enjoy the Super Bowl commercials.. Based on your test results I purchased the JEC brake for my AR upper in 7.6339. It was much more accurate than I expected it to be, so Im not surprised you didnt have to tune the muzzle velocity. For exhaustive details on the test system, why I selected these cartridges and rifles, or other details, see the Recoil Post. I started by including the most popular precision rifle muzzle brakes. Part of the motivation behind my thoroughness was in hopes that Ill be able to buy an even better muzzle brake for my rifle 2 years from now! Are there any brake/suppressor combos that you might recommend that might come close to the benefits of just a brake? You might just call them and see. For those that might be new to the game, here are some pros of muzzle brakes compared to pros for suppressors. Reduce kick and muzzle rise. I'd say over 80% of the content was ne Cal: Ha! Its a lot to read. So I recruited the help of industry pro, Zak Smith (maker of Thunder Beast Suppressors), to help me record all this data. I promise if you read that, youll be way ahead in your understanding than 99% of the guys out there. Carefully consider the pros and cons before deciding to get a muzzle brake. Sorry! I did notice a strong correlation between how loud a muzzle brake is and how effective it was at mitigating recoil. Austin those are the exact muzzle devices I run, and I feel the same way. So straight baffles can be safer and may also reduce the shock wave you have to endure behind the gun (and certainly those around you have to endure), but I just wanted to make sure you werent thinking there would be a lot of difference in sound. JEC is back ordered. That is the standard thread pattern for cartridges in that 6mm through 30 caliber range, so that makes more sense for your 270. Really, the muzzle brake simply acts as the first baffle(s) within the suppressor. No problem. You bet, Steve! It seems everyone wishes I would have included their favorite brake but there are literally 100s and maybe even 1000s of brake designs out there. I think you'll like this one. Jason of JEC remarked very soon in our conversation that I must have read your PRB article. Thats a big part of the reason I do this. Thank you for all you do! That makes moving it from one barrel to another very easy, with no gunsmithing or hassle required. On a sporting rifle they look like hell. Cal- Not trying to stress about deciding on a new brak . $ 162.00. I really appreciate you taking the time to share that insight. And the APA brake was one of the best for recoil reduction, but it definitely wasnt the worse for staying on target. There are so many guys jumping into this sport, and Im just trying to help them make informed buying decisions so it doesnt end up costing them way more than it should. Steve, no and no. Just an FYI as some might be looking to purchase one due to the results of this study, and there is no indication of this delay on their web site. APA has a few different sizes and models of muzzle brakes, but the APA Gen 2 Little B* Self-Timing Muzzle Brake is the most popular among this group. I would love to hear your thoughts, hypothocies or speculations as to the why the TANK can perform 3x better as the next closest brake for muzzzle rise and be MERELY just above average for recoil, DID it like one of your test guns/loads significantly better on recoil than others (suggesting tunning for the the .308)? There will always be a newer, shinier toy come out but that shouldnt rob our contentment with what we have. Its the loudest dang thing i have ever been around. Quick view. Thanks man! Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this content, data, or other materials is strictly prohibited without prior express and written permission from the author. Itd be interesting to see how it stacked up in terms of objective performance. then looking at the recoil data it would seem to follow that the level of recoil attenuation and muzzle rise would be correlated, which it seems to be for every brake but the TANK! This design seems virtually identical to the Alamo Four Star Cowl Induction design, which was the most effective muzzle brake I tested when it came to reducing recoil (see the data). Notice that on the Ability To Stay On Target test the lowest performers were the same ones that didnt reduce recoil well either. Looks like its going to be a break for my target rifle and a can for hunting until I can figure a way to manage these issues better with the can. Cal Footer Start. There doesnt seem to be much out there to help with the decision at this point. And that is a cool study that Jeremy did on the AR-15 brakes. Hey, Bobby. I worked with a lot of sharp guys from several different industries to devise a test system, which directly measures recoil force at the butt of the rifle. Have taken foot out of mouth. The dark bar shows the starting price, the light green bar shows the highest price. Thanks again for the kind words. I also thought about getting 3 shooters to shoot a few 10 shot groups with each brake, and average all the results but I think youd be in the noise. I doubt it would offer enough value to justify the cost of the match-grade ammo it would take to conduct the test. I dont believe in a one-size-fits-all best muzzle brake. Honestly, most of the brakes I included are WAY better than some other ones on the market. Those were fired from a bench with a bipod and no rear support, which exaggerated any muzzle movement. The length does come into play, especially if the longer brake has more baffles or more surface area (like the Center Shot Rifles Blast Tamer models the 30 caliber model I tested was longer and had 4 baffles, where the 6 and 6.5mm versions were shorter and just had 3 baffles). $80.00. My results change the picture a bit and I thought you might be interested in seeing those results, more as a discussion than a debate. Thank you for your feedback! Rick, great question. Cal, thanks for another insightful post. In fact, 73% of these guys were using one of those brakes I just mentioned. It also features a self-timing integral locking nut similar to the APA design, making it simple to switch between barrels. I just hope everyone else learned as much as I did, and Im hopeful manufacturers will use this info to improve their products. I am embarrassed. Like everyone else, I had a lot of misconceptions this help correct. At some point, I think someone independent needs to do sound and recoil tests on suppressors. Staying on target not only allows quick follow-up shots, but more importantly for precision shooting, it allows you to watch your bullet impact. One important aspect of a muzzle brake is helping the rifle stay on target. Not knocking them, just to set expectations in case somebody might think theyll buy one for the next match. I actually saw that come out right as I was wrapping up my tests. The Thunderbeast is very impressive. The Boss system allows you to twist it to turn the brake off (essentially covering the side ports), so if you had a way to adjust how big the holes were coming out of the top of brake you could then tune the amount of gas that was offsetting the muzzle rise. There are a significant amount suppressors represented, but muzzle brakes are far more common overall. The data is based on a survey of the top 50 shooters in the Precision Rifle Series (PRS). Great for the shooter but if you have people on benches next to you the will definetly hear it, and feel it when you take a shot. The bottom line is to deal in absolute fundamentals, measure them, and remove all the assumptions. You want the ports level and pointing directly to the sides. Note: The Alamo Four Star muzzle brake design was purchased by Masterpiece Arms, and is now sold as theMPA Cowl Induction Muzzle Brake. If you didnt care about the size (and can get past the aesthetics), the JP Recoil Eliminator is a great choice. I thought it would be of interest to you. I may do another test in the future focused on AR-15s or large magnums (i.e. Im not sure what kind of impact theyd have. Were all just trying to figure this stuff out, and help the shooting community. Send me a link when its up! I bought the Rat Worx Big Chubby. Seriously. SureFire Procomp Standalone Muzzle Brake for 5.56 mm & 7.62 mm rifles . There are a ton of brakes out there that will give you similar (sub-par) performance like the OPS, Surefire, and Shrewd brakes I just didnt include them in this test. I really believe its the best suppressor money can buy. If you have good performance with the Yankee Hill suppressors, stick with them! 15" free-float M-LOK handguard is made of hard anodized aluminum and features M-LOK slots on all four sides for improved scope clearance for long-range . Are those alternate prices? The Blast Tamer is a great one too. So I didnt even know the overall rankings until a couple days ago! Aaron was very helpful and answered all my emails. Take care! I bet those guys get caught up at some point, but thats good to know for those reading now. It was one of the best overall performing muzzle brakes in my field test, so I understand why so many of these guys prefer it (see the results). With the APA Gen II Little B****** stating on their website, perfect fit for barrels .750 -.900 inches in diameter at the muzzle, what are guys running on muzzles with larger diameters like straight tapers and MTU? The brake that is the best for a heavy 6mm competition rifle, may not be the best for a lightweight, long-range, hunting rifle, and it may not be the best for a big tactical rifle chambered for a magnum cartridge. Lol. I guess the fact that these guys are using them with good results probably means they dont affect the precision in any gross way, but I wonder if itd be something that could be detected with an air gauge. I . A 26 MTU barrel is 0.93 diameter at the muzzle and a M24 is 0.90, so it looks great even on those heavy barrels. Add to cart. It will be hard to do that, since suppressors are so heavily-regulated, but I know it would help a lot of shooters in your position. I have been on stages that require you to take 4 shots in 10 seconds, or Ive seen guys run a 6 shot stage in 14 seconds. I didnt back up my data because respectfully I didnt want to link to a competing blogs extensive muzzle brake testing on your blog. Theyre certainly popular in military camps and semi-auto world, so its a little strange to only see one guy running them among these top rifle shooters. When youre reaching out to that kind of distance your scope and mount must be rock-solid! That would get you to a standard thread for that caliber, so all that is left is finding a skinny brake that looks appropriate on your barrel. SOLD OUT. In fact, one of the reasons those fans arent more effective (although they help a little) is because there is very little surface area inside the bore of a barrel but there is a lot of surface area in a suppressor, so I wouldnt be surprised if those chamber fans arent measurably more effective at cooking suppressors than barrels. Im disappointed, after reading this article, that I own two Yankee Hill suppressors and six QD attachments. That doesnt make it dramatically quieter or pleasant to be around, but it may make it safer and more bearable for the shooter next to you on the line. I have been trying to talk Jered Joplin, owner of APA, into making a version of the Little B* with top ports. As you can see in my list of Advantages of Muzzle Brakes, I put staying on target as #1 and #2. It was my first centerfire rifle, and the only rifle I owned from the time I was 12 until I was 22. Great question, Russell! To me this product category is one of the harder ones to cover due to the products being fairly cheap (compared to the rest of the LR equipment out there) and easy to produce which means there are literally tons on the market. All brakes used by more than 2 of the top 50 shooters in the PRS are represented (see the data). SHOT Show 2018: Really Right Stuffs New Products, Sneak Peek of Bryan Litzs New Book: Volume III of Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting, 6.5 Creedmoor Ammo Test Part 1: Intro & Reader Poll, Extreme Long Range Tips 2: Spotting Shots & Ranging, Wyoming ELR Scopes & Mounts What The Pros Use, Extreme Long Range Tips 1: Optics & Mounts, How To Measure The Distance To The Lands On Your Rifle Barrel, process of acquiring a silencer tax stamp, APA Gen 2 Little B* Self-Timing Muzzle Brake, recoil test system with high-speed sensors. Cal, Newsletter Signup. One question on the topic of muzzle brakes. Those two suppressor manufacturers represented 68% of the 103 shooters who said they used a suppressor, and were the only brands used by more than 10 shooters. The Applied Ballistics Kestrel is an amazing little device. In those situations, the muzzle is just a few inches off the ground and if any gas is redirected towards the ground youre going to be eating sand, grit, small insects, and whatever else isnt bolted down. Guess I missed those. The AR-STONER Precision Muzzle Brake with 5/8" - 24 threads counters the recoil of your AR-10, LR-308, or other 7.62x51/.308 rifle builds. Pingback: Fde ssg 3000 - Page 2 - SIG Talk, Pingback: Weekend Knowledge Dump- September 11, 2015 | Active Response Training, Pingback: Bipod with sling prone - Page 5 - Long Range Hunting Online Magazine, Pingback: Test plinskih zavor Tacticool, Pingback: muzzlebrake and reloads - Long Range Hunting Online Magazine, Pingback: First hand muzzle brake recommendations - Page 2 - Long Range Hunting Online Magazine, Pingback: Quietest Muzzle Brake? The suppressor space is getting more competitive, with new companies and products popping up all the time, so Id encourage you to check out the whole list before making a buying decision. What would be your must read sources in the LR world? Some run really sharp looking setups. And you ask a tough question. It is $24, and has great reviews. Sorry I couldnt be more help. It can be customized into literally thousands of possible configurations. I hadnt heard about keeping the barrel straight up, but that makes sense. Thanks, buddy! Trijicon Ventus: Measuring Range AND WIND! i know, im just day dreaming . Ive tried to find an objective approach to quantify as many features and performance metrics as I could. All pricing is for informational purposes only. Its be incredibly valuable, because theyre not only so expensive the time you sink into them for the tax stamp doesnt allow the typical try it and trade it mentality that you can take on some rifle parts. Tyrant Designs Uni-Comp Universal 9mm Pistol Compensator. I didnt know who was going to end up on top until the very end, so I wasnt able to give Jason a heads up so he could prepare for the demand. That was an integrity moment for me, and shows that I really would prefer to not publish results on something, rather than publish results that could be misleading. Hawkins Precision Muzzle Brake 7mm for sale at Bison Tactical. I went back and added a paragraph before the chart that gives a little more context on that. Search. The quality, fit and finish is excellent! Im glad you asked. What you do is an amazing resource for the shooting community. Just throwing your opinion out there that it could compete is based on what? The most popular among precision rifle shooters seems to be the SilencerCo Omega Suppressor. M11-SPR Severe-Duty Muzzle Brake $104.95. After I was confident in the consistency of the data, I went back through and fired at least 3 shots from every rifle and muzzle brake combination, plus the rifle with a bare muzzle. It seems to fit well in that post. EuroOptic.com currently has it on sale for $899! just ordered the fat bastard in 338, it will ship in 24 hours and the order was processed in 2 hours!i cannot say enough about the speed and quality of my experiance with american precision arms!!!!! I wonder how this combination would match up to the brakes that you tested. I think youre wise to say youre too heavily invested to chase the very best. So those first baffles could be integral to the suppressor, or to the muzzle brake within the suppressor. Im not saying all these guys are that utilitarian and unconcerned of looks (and most arent as good as Tyler either). Its very unlikely youd be disappointed with your investment. For example, on the APA models, there are Gen I and Gen II models. No test of the Amazon brake? Many are ported to offset muzzle rise, helping you stay on target to spot impacts (, Reduces recoil about 30% more than a suppressor, helping you stay on target to spot impacts (, Dont cause your barrel to heat like a suppressor, so less wait time between strings of fire, More maneuverable, because its lighter and shorter than a suppressor, Much cheaper (Less than $200 compared to $1000+ for popular suppressors + the $200 tax stamp), Reduces noise/concussion dramatically over muzzle brake, decreasing odds of hearing damage and may not require hearing protection (, Reduces muzzle blast and ground signature, which can kick up dust and debris (, Slight increase in muzzle velocity (15-30 fps in my experience with these cartridges), Some believe the added weight at the muzzle improves precision (In . $18.99. Its a great idea, and pretty easy to implement honestly. I know I am planning on finishing a .308 build in the next month or two and will be trying one out. The recoil event happens in approximately 1/100th of a second, which is 10 times faster than the blink of an eye! Some brake designs direct gases down toward the ground, which can cause some serious issues if youre firing from a prone position. The majority of the shooters are using a muzzle brake. The lighter green bars in the chart below indicate that models pricing may vary. I measured recoil on 4 different cartridges and rifle configurations, from a mid-sized 6mm to a monster 300 magnum, and all types of stock designs and rifle weights. Hawkins Precision's Tank ST is a self-timing, 4 port muzzle brake designed to greatly reduce recoil for precision rifle applications. 33 Comments, This article covers the muzzle brakes and suppressors the top 170+ precision rifle shooters in the country are running. Quantity Only 1 left in stock. And when I polled 1,000+ shooters thats what you guys thought too! I think itd be just one more compelling thing about that muzzle brake. It was 100% ideal for that setup, and its good to hear you found the same results. You know the Little B* didnt provide as much recoil reduction as the Fat B*, so the step down to the Micro B* might be roughly the same. That is an interesting idea. Currently Available in 1/2-28 and 5/8-24 thread pitches. Rug Precision Rifle Hybrid Muzzle Brake Reduces recoil by as much as 58% (depending on caliber and barrel length) contributing to improved accuracy over a longer string of fire - Brake locks into position using an easy-to-use external jam nut - Reduces noise and blast to the sides of the shooter - Installs quickly using a 7/8 box wrench or . Most sound tests are measured from the side of the muzzle, in accordance with mil-spec standards, so we did that. This provides a more accurate indicator of the actual sound levels firearms operators will encounter while shooting. The Gen II have a slick integral locking nut feature, but other than that theyre identical. Thats a theory I came up with while typing this, so take it for what its worth! I personally have a lot of confidence in ThunderBeast (TBAC) suppressors, so thats what Ive personally bought but I cant say their better than the AWCs. Such a great all-around cartridge. The Omega Suppressor typically sales for $1130, but I noticed EuroOptic.com currently has it on sale for $899! I still have my JEC you couldnt buy it from me if you tried! To be fair, Bryan does go into the definition of "hygroscopic" by the 2nd pa Andy: Any idea if they'll offer a bundle for all 3 similar to what they did for vol 1 Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License. When it came to sound performance, the TB Ultra 338 SR was in a different zipcode from the othe products. If the ports are directional, that just means theyre designed to send more gas in certain directions than others, which usually means more gas to the sides and not down towards the ground. Ive read a lot of great books, but if I had to narrow it down to one, I definitely know which itd be: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting by Bryan Litz. 4 Best Muzzle Brake for M16 Rifle 4.1 Precision Armament - AR .308 M4-72 Severe Duty Brake 30 Caliber 4.1.1 Installation 5 Best Muzzle Brake for 7.62 Rifle 5.1 VG6 Precision - Ar .308 Gamma 762 Muzzle Brake 7.62 5.1.1 Design 6 Best Muzzle Brake for AR 10 6.1 Surefire - Procomp 762 Muzzle Brake 6.1.1 Recoil reduction 6.1.2 Design 6.1.3 Noise With that on the chart, it just seemed to add more noise than being helpful. Thats one of the drawbacks of publishing something like this, while its interesting it can also make people less content with what they have. I think you'll like this one. Really, all of these are designed to be ideal for the 308. Muzzle Brake: Summary of Field Test Results. I also got a strong mirage after the first 10 shots. That was done a few years ago, and Ive slept many nights since then. Likewise, none of these brakes are pleasant. Thats why its unlikely Ill ever use a TOMB design as a stand-alone muzzle brake. I think Jason was struggling with his business or maybe even something in his personal life there for a while, and wasnt very responsive. We all know muzzle brakes are loud, but this test finally gives us some hard data and makes objective comparisons. The concussion to the shooter shouldnt be too bad since it vents to left and right. Perhaps if youre a benchrest shooter you might notice something but for us practical/tactical guys its likely in the noise, and you wouldnt miss a target because of it. That is incredibly insightful. He was definitely before his time. Will indeed do. If the majority of shooters are using suppressors and the majority of shooters are using the APA Little B, how does that work? You should check out that data again: Muzzle Brakes Ability To Stay On Target 1. offer a suggestion as to how to summarize various tests into an Apple to apples comparison without missing the nuances (and the hard work you put in) Also didnt care for the mirage over the barrel after a string of shot. One of the TB Ultra Ultra 338 SR suppressors was subjected to 15,400 rounds of durability testing on one of the rifles and it still passed sound performance standards until the last few hundres shots dispite the fact that it had gained 1.8 lbs of mass due to propellent/carbon accumulation. Enjoy this type of data-driven information? He recently came out with a new brake he named The Answer that does have top ports that are tune-able (i.e. Do you have any experience with the brake from Precision Armament? I love the creative, pragmatic approach. Great question, Chris. I bet if he can release a version intended for these calibers and threads that had the effectiveness of the Little B* + top ports, it would take over. That seems more rare than it probably should be. And theyre A LOT of fun on a 22 pistol! CHEERS !! Matches have certainly made me a better shooter. So, how much benefit is lost by adding a brake to a suppressor vs just a brake alone? Another thing to point out is the two more popular muzzle brakes are priced 40% higher than this design, making it a great choice for those on a tight budget. Using a muzzle brake indoors is not advised. Youll likely be disappointed at the end of your hunt. Those are what most of the top shooters in the Precision Rifle Series are using, and what I personally have confidence in. Yes, sir. To see more details on this test, view the Sound Post. We used a Bruel & Kjaer 2209 Impulse Precision Sound Level Meter, which is considered the industry standard for this kind of sound measurement. 1/228 threads are typically used for smaller calibers (like 223), so if I were you Id buy a thread adapter to make that 5/824. They arent running larger calibers. The average target distance is year was 1,180 yards, with 70% of the targets beyond 1,000 yards! I still get emails all the time from guys like that (and no, I still dont plan to test any more muzzle brakes within the next 18 months). While Im very passionate about long-range shooting, its just a hobby for me. 338 Lapua to 50 BMG), because both of those seem to get you in a different type of product.

Teleperformance Work From Home Drug Test, Anthony Galindo Esposa, The Psychedelic Toad Of The Sonoran Desert Pamphlet, Articles P