what happened to steve mazzagatti

Weve seen it before, these guys will unload everything they got because they think theyve got the other guy hurt, and the guy all of a sudden comes up and beats the crap out of the guy because hes gassed or he hurt his hands trying to punch him out. One time, after Josh Burkman voluntarily walked away from Jon Fitchs limp body without any prompting from Mazzagatti in a World Series of Fighting match, White ranted for nine straight minutes. The one and only Big John. "The worst I've ever seen. "At the time Vegas was the boxing capital of the world," he says. Some of his moves and decisions have become iconic within the MMA community. I want to hear Fight back, you need to move, Alex, you need to move, fight back, now hook him up. I want to hear that like 50 times before they drag me off of him, he added. Vazquez claimed that after passing out from the initial triangle choke, he opened his eyes to find himself trapped in an armbar. Cecil Popes is one of the least popular MMA judges and is notoriously known for always trying to put the focus of a fight on him. A list of his stupid and wrong decisions could be an article for itself, but hes been known to deduce points without any valid reason and his infamous stoppage of a womens match is still scorned upon even today, earning Mazzagatti the title of the worst MMA referee. He looks upon the call as a UFC travesty, and to this day he hasnt gotten over it. Dana White called Chris Tognonis referee work disgusting after an apparent error flipped the script in Saturdays Ed Herman vs. Mike Rodriguez fight at UFC on ESPN+ 35. Best MMA Referees Marc Goddard And then Anthony got poked in the eye, after I - I saw a combination, I saw an uppercut, and all of a sudden Anthony turns around flies on the ground and starts tapping. Steve Mazzagatti. Mazzagatti was part of many questionable calls during his career as an official, which left him on the wrong side of many fighters and even UFC president Dana White. MMA Referees need to be very active and know the rules better than anyone, but also be very observant. If somethings on his mind he will come to you, and get right in your face and say what the hell happened right there." This guy is not even that bad compared to some of the others on our list, but hes had his fair share of pretty stupid decisions. We all know the importance of speed in MMA, so imagine how such a decision might have impacted the match. Dana, bring back Steve Mazzagatti. The worst Ive ever seen. UFC Kansas City Results, Live Coverage, and Discussion: Max Holloway Edges Arnold Allen by Decision. Don't miss him, just wondered if he finally got run? Its absolutely clear why hes on this list and you should not doubt it for a second. Herman wound up making a miraculous comeback in the third round of the fight, submitting Rodriguez with a kimura. Yamasaki is a great and experienced referee and although there are a lot of people still not getting over the aforementioned disqualification, they should really put that to rest because Yamasaki is one of those that have proven, over and over, that they are among the best out there. The Ultimate Fighter 3 finalist managed to rally in the third round, locking in a slick kimura from bottom position that forced Rodriguez to tap out. Its disgusting. Thats some (Steve) Mazzagatti-level (expletive) right there. What Happened To Steve Mazzagatti. White to this day still says there shouldnt be a loss on Jones otherwise flawless record. Remember the time that Matt Hamill won via disqualification over Jon Jones for those infamous 12-to-6 elbows? "The loneliest man in MMA is readying his long travel buggy - complete with 14-inch coil-overs in the back - for a fast desert ride. Meanwhile, Till's skid extended to three straight losses, which could jeopardize his status in the UFC middleweight division. Rodriguezs team announced within minutes of the result that it was going to file an appeal of the fight. "I chose to become an official, and Stitch [Jacob Duran], who worked there too, chose to become a cutman. Nikki first appeared on moesha in an episode where she went back to school to get the last credit she needs. Controversy reared its ugly head during the Mike Rodriguez vs. Ed Herman bout at UFC Vegas 10 and one person who wasn't happy with what went down is UFC President Dana White. The British referee has a truly respectable reputation and is deservedly considered to be one of the best referees out there. Merry XmasGET 20% OFF + FREE SHIPPING ON MANSCAPED with code ITP at https://www.manscaped.com/In The Pocket MMA is sponsored by MANSCAPED, The Official Elect. Its one of the worst things Ive ever seen.. I could have went back and looked at the instant replay and said wow, that was an eye poke. But if youre looking at it, and you hit it again and again, thats your fault. The UFCs president Dana White shifts in his seat and mumbles under his breath whenever "Mazz" gets the call. At what point do you realise that this guy is an incompetent fool and hes going to hurt somebody, White fumed. Israel Adesanya spotted a familiar face while watching UFC 282 this past Saturday. If you get hit there dude - even just reaching around and tapping that area - you get a little bit dizzy. And nobody puts as many out. Some of the worst calls by Steve Mazzagatti, the controversial former UFC referee. "You got to understand that a promoter has one thing in mind, and thats to promote the fighters to the next level. Mazzagatti was infamous for a number of bad calls. What are you going to do it? He also worked at the Golden Gloves Gym with Roger Mayweather, Freddie Roach, Greg Hogan, Jimmy Montoya and many others. The perception of him goes something like this: What an oblivious, uncaring, clueless, particularly blind and lackadaisical excuse for a referee the Nevada State Athletic Commission insists on keeping around. Because this s--- goes down so fast. One of the fights that had most of his reactions was Dricus Du Plessis vs. Darren Till. "Sucks is part of the job. That kid wins by. That doesn't excuse how terrible both Dean and Mirgliotta are in terms of consistency and quality. Burns threw several left palm strikes, poking Johnson's eyes. Steve Mazzagatti (Sherdog) and Dana White (Esther Lin/MMAFighting) If Dana White had things his way, Steve Mazzagatti wouldn't be allowed anywhere near a UFC Octagon. [1]. Dana White and Big John McCarthy Talk Steve Mazzagatti Invicta Fighting Championships 283K subscribers Subscribe 801K views 9 years ago Referee Steve Mazzagatti drew some criticism for his. People talk as if hes personally and deliberately trying to mess with their lives. "And it literally is that cell phone area right where your spine connects to your skull. "I do always get caught up in the craziest s---!" His fight-starter is so familiar by now that you barely notice"You ready? Jamie Varner v. Rob McCullough @ WEC 32 Varner loses his mouthpiece and actually. With that in mind, let's take a look at some of his worst refereeing decisions Perhaps Steve Mazzagatti's apparent inaptitude first came to light during UFC Fight Night 14 when the late Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson took on Kevin Burns. Sherdog.com is a property of Mandatory Media, LLC, monitoring_string = "5200e30beed193e5fe31f8bccc2bdcbf". Steve Mazzagatti is a hero by popular definition. I said, oh my god, theres definitely a rule infringement right there - downward elbows straight through Hamills guard, which hes not used to blocking 12-to-6 elbows. He once TKOd a fighter who was clearly conscious during a fight, but one of his silliest moves was when he called a stoppage, only to withdraw his own decision a second later. It's interesting to see which officials are politcially connected and which aren't. Guys like Mazzagatti and Yamasaki have been blackballed, but other total incompetents like Adelaide Byrd, Chris Lee and Sal D'Amato continue to work. Referee Steve Mazzagatti warned Burns about unintentional eye pokes, but they kept coming. Whether that proves successful or not remains to be seen, but as of now, its almost universally agreed that Rodriguez was robbed of a win on his record. The Last Stylebender wants the UFC to bring back former referee Steve Mazzagatti for his latest title defence which takes place at Madison Square Garden in New York on Saturday night. He is very respective of the rules, hes made some great and important decisions during his career, but is also known for stopping the fight at the right moment, thereby saving his fighters from any serious harm. Regarding the Jones 12 to 6, I think in retrospect a No Contest would probably have been better than a DQ but Mazzagatti has a point, rules are rules and they have to be upheld. But rules are rules, and if were not going to have rules, then what are we there for? Hes also very experienced and has refereed several important UFC events. I was all over them tonight about replay, White said. In the third round, Burns landed a finger poke in Johnson's right eye so hard the fight was stopped. The first thing you notice when talking to him is that hes not fishing for sentimental understanding - even as criticism stacks up in leaning towers around him. For all the shit that guy takes for being the awful ref he is, he was always around. Archived post. Nate Diaz Turns Himself In To New Orleans Police, Released On Bond, Max Holloway Interested In Potential Gervonta Davis Boxing Match: "That Would Be A Fun One", New Orleans Police Issue Arrest Warrant For Nate Diaz Following Altercation On Bourbon Street. Pereira continued to dominate in kickboxing until 2020 when he committed himself to MMA full-time after previously going 2-1 in the sport between 2015 and 2016. Well, lets see how he rants about it for 9 minutes straight. Steve Mazzagatti: I had already been officiating for close to ten years but it was definitely exciting. Hes an (expletive) Mazzagatti level. Also, everyone elses the list. Please logout and login again. Ive taken, for back of the head strikes for instance, over my career, 10-12 instances in huge fights. Weve got five different disciplines - different ground games, striking games, submission games, the whole thing. Steve Mazzagatti (left), and Israel Adesanya (right) [Photo credit: FREESTYLEBENDER - YouTube] Israel Adesanya spotted a familiar face while watching UFC 282 this past Saturday. From his first fight, hes been consistently good and constantly among the best. However, it was immediately clear that Hamill was badly hurt. In the 2008 bout, the referee failed to spot even one of the many eye pokes that Johnson suffered. The Mazzagatti stoppage happened VERY early into the fight. He knew (wrote) the rules, he cared about the fighters and you could never say that he was either controversial or dubious in his decisions. "The only excuse Mazzagatti makes is that hes doing his job. Its one of the worst things Ive ever seen.. A quick search of the internet indicates that Mazzagatti may be the most highly criticized official in MMA. 1. That was the fight with Rob Emerson. To bring up some names, I shall list some of the best MMA referees and worst MMA referees, both in the UFC and out of the UFC. He pays a lot of attention to the rules and ensures fighter safety. What are you going to do it? "What the hell am I going to do?" He's a (expletive) Mazzagatti level. Adesanya seems to agree that Mazzagatti, who is long gone from the UFC, is incompetent but that's why he wants him in place at UFC 281. UFC Vegas 72 Weigh-In Results: Song vs. Simon. This makes two fighters that would probably still be undefeated today that racked up a loss because Steve Mazzagatti is so trigger happy on penalization. "I start tapping with my feet and I pass out again," he revealed, stating it was the pain from the armbar that led him to wake up from the first submission. Although one of the most famous, Miragliotta is one of the worst MMA referees out there. The referees are extremely important for an MMA fight. Adesanya seems to agree that Mazzagatti, who is long gone from the UFC, is incompetent but thats why he wants him in place at UFC 281. And Ive had to enforce the rules on some huge fights. 6, 31000, Osijek, Croatia he says. Rodriguezs manager said after the event that they plan on appealing the loss. Steve Mazzagatti MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography - Sherdog.com Steve Mazzagatti AGE N/A FIGHTS 459 KO / TKO 143 31% SUBMISSIONS 134 29% DECISIONS 175 38% DRAWS 2 0% NO. We would like to send you notifications for the latest news and updates. He responds to trauma situations, when people have been shot, or mangled in a car accident, or who just got beaten down along the boozy Las Vegas Strip. Cookie Notice Bellator 295 Results, Live Coverage, and Discussion: Patchy Mix KOs Raufeon Stots In Grand Prix Finals! "Unfortunately, what did I have to do? White was incensed by the mistake, and he put Tognoni on blast for it. Perhaps Steve Mazzagatti's apparent inaptitude first came to light during UFC Fight Night 14 when the late Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson took on Kevin Burns. UFC Vegas 71 Results, Live Coverage, and Discussion: Sergei Pavlovich KOs Curtis Blaydes in Round One! Everything else is perfect. Luckily for Lavigne, it didnt, but it gave him a spot on our list. With another action-packed month of MMA in the books, MMA Junkie looks at the best knockouts from April 2023. When Mazzagatti didn't step in immediately, Rousey grabbed the arm again and was in the midst of reapplying the armbar when Steve finally decided it was time to step in at the 25 second mark . Copyright 2023 Way of Martial Arts All of this practically destroyed her reputation and made her one of the least favorite MMA referees. Your login session has expired. White is angry with referee Chris Tognoni, who erroneously called a pair or knee strikes landed by Rodriguez to the midsection of Herman as a low blow. He joked about him being there, saying: Like many others, 'Izzy' was surprised to see the former UFC referee sitting cageside. Youll find everything you need from rash guards, to shorts, to training equipment, and more. Ive been in the fight game my whole life, and I truly care about the sport. "Its a friendless second profession that Mazzagattis in. At the time, I didnt have it. Joe Rogan shouted them out in his podcast, and In The Pocket can confirm that these little guys are perfect for increasing your punching speed and burning extra calories! Mario Yamasaki has one controversial decision behind him a very dubious disqualification but thats about it. He has ranted epically on numerous occasions about Mazzagattis incompetence in the cage. Hes dangerous. We got to have replay. The only female on our list, Kim Winslow made a lot of enemies in the MMA because of her refereeing. All youve got to do is look at the (expletive) replay thats playing 6,000 times while Hermans on the ground and say, Oh (expletive), I made a mistake. How you think that is a groin kick is next level nuts, but whatever. The fact that he is not yet in his prime and still has a lot to offer just shows you how good this guy is. I was all over them tonight about replay, White said. These things just dont happen on everybodys watch.Maybe thats why theres a little bit of comedy in Mazzagattis voice when he thinks about his decision to get into refereeing in the first place. Hes a (expletive) Mazzagatti level. "Its easy to sit back in your rocking chair sipping a beer and then watch the replay and then come back and make call, but I think MMA is one of the hardest sports to referee of any sport. Please check your email for a confirmation. How would that look if Im hanging out with some team and the other team sees me buddying up with them? One of Dana . So what's happened to Steve Mazzagatti? UFC veteran Felipe Colares dead at 29 after being hit by bus. Dana White vs Referee Steve Mazzagatti Trash Talk Funny MomentsShare & Subscribe!Please LIKE if you enjoyed the video! However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. "I mean, if youre going to let somebody pound somebody else in the back of the head and call it good because you want that guy to win because theres a big promotion for him next - you can see the huge amounts of money involved. Ive admitted that that lossthat was basically a bad call. While watching Paddy Pimblett vs. Jared Gordon in the co-main event, he spotted controversial MMA referee Steve Mazzagatti cageside. How early? Nobody in the industry starts as many fires. At all times hes wearing his black gloves a little tighter than, say, Yves Lavigne, to lend him added prowler essence. Dana White often makes headlines when in an agitated state. Steve Mazzagatti is a hero by popular definition. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register. I personally feel Josh wasn't at fault whatsoever for this incident, it was an unfortunate case of being in the exact wrong place to see what happened. He desperately tried to imitate the best among them but failed miserably each time. Other referees, like John McCarthy and . That guy is dangerous. Don't miss him, just wondered if he finally got run? Watch some of the worst stoppages by Steve Mazzagatti below: The referee is especially notorious for stoppages deemed to be late. The New Zealander left kickboxing behind after his loss to Pereira and became one of the biggest stars in MMA by capturing the 185lb title and winning 20 of his 21 pro fights. Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by MescalineDreams, Dec 7, 2018. Among his worst decisions are late stoppages in quite obviously risky situations and its mere luck that there have not been any grave incidents during his matches. And I got to stick by that call. He wasnt necessarily tapping because hes done, he was poked in the eye. So what's happened to Steve Mazzagatti? We appreciate your support and thank you for your purchases, as they sustain our magazine and allow us to bring you the best content.Our experts use a first-hand testing and reviewing method. He trained fighters from the earliest UFCs in kickboxing. Our experts use a first-hand testing and reviewing method. Ironically, the referee is also known for stoppages deemed extremely early and bizarre. Its not just the inconsistent calls and the often-ridiculous explanations for her decisions, but also the fact that Winslow has a tendency of jumping in late in situations that can be extremely dangerous and threatening. Worth noticing is that the referees that are included on the worst side, are not there because of their overall skills (which are good) but because of some big mistakes they made during their career. Fair or not, he is the man we love to hate, and nobody looks better dressed in blame. Follow us on Twitter for updates, and subscribe to our YouTube channel for exclusive interviews, lists, news updates and predictions. He has a reputation for not making bad decisions and being consistently on a high level, which is truly admirable. That was just the tip of the iceberg as far as Whites discontentment goes with "Mazz." 'Rumble' eventually lost the fight due to an eye injury, but the official result of the event reflected a third-round TKO victory for Burns. Sign up for the Its an exile he signed on for. We got to have replay. UFC president Dana White has even gone so far as to say that Mazzagatti is one of the . "Speaking of instant replay, thats another topic in which Mazzagatti found himself in hot water. Watch Gilbert Burns outpoint Jorge Masvidal in his retirement fightin the UFC's return to Miami. The classic example of a controversial Mazzagatti point deduction for back of the head strikes was in the first Brock Lesnar/Frank Mir fight, when Mazzagatti stopped Lesnars early onslaught (and complete momentum) to dock him a point. I haven't seen him doing any cards in ages. Herman was afforded time to recover, as per the rules of an illegal strike to the groin, and it proved to be a massive turning point.

Detective Sergeant Jim Smith Opp, Woodlawn High School Sports, Jose Vasquez Bronx Zoo Twin Brother, Articles W