where is sonya heitshusen now

text-align: center; Now, he has sanctioned a Chicago lawyer to "write and produce a training video in which" she, or a partner in her firm, "addresses the impropriety of unspecified 'form' objections, witness coaching, and excessive interruptions." . .leg-hnt-responsive-columns { Sonya Heitshusen is running for the Democratic nomination for Iowa House District 28, along with Tom Walton. width: 100% width: 250px; Counties | position: absolute; margin: auto; display: block; SHE WAS LET GO BECAUSE OF HER GENDER AND A SGEONYA HEITZEN WAS FIRED FROM WHO TV LAST YEAR. No one person or party has all the answers. We have a chance now to show people everywhere, that Republicans and Democrats can work constructively together for the broad interests of our state, Ray said. 2023, Hearst Television Inc. on behalf of KCCI-TV. Anchor the 4:00 PM and 5:00 PM newscasts at WHO-TV. .race_footer { Irecently forgot that I have a neck. 2023 www.desmoinesregister.com. p.survey-question {font-weight:bold;} The attorneys have therefore asked Judge Cobb to remove herself from the case, but Heitshusen is fighting to keep her on. For more than 17 years, Sonya has dedicated herself to serving the community and being a friend to all of us. Because of that, and because her partner is a police officer "there are firearms in our home for personal protection," she said. IOWA CITY As a prominent reporter and anchor at one of Iowas biggest local television stations, Sonya Heitshusen was known for doggedly investigating injustices and holding the powerful accountable. She said she was devastated last August when she realized she could not report on the derecho, the powerful wind storm that ripped across the state. She said she was devastated last August. Judge Erica Crisp granted Heitshusen a deferred judgment, ordering her to serve one year of probation and pay a $105 penalty. All rights reserved. Numerous people in my District have told me they're concerned about education in Iowa. .widget-value { Offering world-class education will strengthen our families, our communities, our workforce, and our state. They are hard workers and can make a difference.". background-color: #dac113; color: white; font-size: 12px; @media (max-width:600px) { We need to invest in our teachers, our public schools and most importantly our kids. She said she was devastated last August when she realized she could not report on the derecho, the powerful wind storm that ripped across the state.Heitshusen left WHO-TV last summer after what the station called a remarkable 17-year stint in which she was a hard-hitting news reporter and an anchor also known for softer segments on fitness. "I thought, 'I'm good enough to work here but I'm not good enough to be on camera?'" font-weight: bold; According to the County Attorneys Office, the nieces role in the Heitshusen campaign creates a conflict of interest for which the judges impartiality might be reasonably questioned. .contact_office { margin-top: 0.3em; margin-bottom: 0em;margin-right: 0.5em;} .key-messages li {margin-bottom: 10px;} Company statistics show that nearly 80% of its managers last year were men. The views and content on this page are the Sonya Heitshusen | Des Moines IA She quickly established herself as a fact-driven, truth-seeking anchor and investigative reporter devoted to giving a voice to the voiceless and uncovering injustices. .mw-body #mw-content-text th.votebox-results-cell--text { padding: 2px; She said in a statement last year she has guns in the home due to a history of threats against her as a journalist and political candidate, and that "an accidental discharge of the firearm occurred" as she was checking one of the weapons. I read a book many years ago and one theme from the book stayed with me: Setting good public policy is the best thing someone can do for future generations. Democrat Sonya Heitshusen and Republican David Young are running in Iowa House District 28, an open seat in Dallas County . overflow-y: hidden; State legislature | .votebox_legend .non_result_row { Nexstar spokesman Gary Weitman declined comment, "as this is a matter of pending litigation.". She desperately wanted children and refused to give up. Iowa women deserve better. Heitshusen said she was blindsided in April 2020 when the stations news director, Rod Peterson, informed her that the station was exercising a clause in her contract to fire her without cause as a business decision. She said she was told the company valued her and might be able to find her a lower-paying digital position, but nothing on the air. $('.pastResponses').hide(); I thought, Im good enough to work here but Im not good enough to be on camera? recounted Heitshusen, who was the oldest female anchor in the stations history. I will also fight to close the gender pay gap. position: relative; Cities | .widget-key { We have a capacity for openness and candor in this state. .panel-heading:hover { cursor: pointer;} background-color: #6db24f; Iowa was once first in the nation in education. .results_text { Sonya Heitshusen defeated Tom Walton in the Democratic primary for Iowa House of Representatives District 28 on June 7, 2022. }. Heitshusen said she was blindsided in April of 2020 when the station's news director, Rod Peterson, informed her that the station was exercising a clause in her contract to fire her without cause as a "business decision." font-size: 12px; She said she was bringing the lawsuit to help spur a cultural shift in the industry that makes discrimination no longer acceptable. Nexstar spokesman Gary Weitman declined comment, "as this is a matter of pending litigation.". Sonya Heitshusen, an Emmy Award-winning journalist for WHO-TV, was arrested for drunken driving on Saturday. As a prominent reporter and anchor at one of Iowa's biggest local television stations, Sonya Heitshusen was known for doggedly investigating injustices and holding the powerful accountable. $('.hideResponses').show(); DES MOINES, Iowa Former TV anchor and reporter Sonya Heitshusen is running to represent Iowa House District 28, she announced Thursday. text-align: center; Sonya is most proud of her investigative work that resulted in real change for Iowans. Her conviction resulted in her becoming the first woman to serve as President of the local school board. Take a look back at her remarkable career at WHO 13. Sonya Heitshusen, a Democrat who challenged Republican Rep. David Young in the 2022 election for West Des Moines-centered House District 28, was charged in June 2022 with reckless use of a. We cannot allow this to continue. margin: 0 5px; She said she was bringing the lawsuit to help spur a "cultural shift" in the industry that makes discrimination no longer acceptable. width: 57%; Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated. Heitshusen, 54, filed a lawsuit on Tuesday,. border-bottom: 1px solid grey; .results_row { } "I loved my job. background: #4c4c4c; Suggest a Correction Copyright 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. } margin: 0; .image-candidate-thumbnail-wrapper { was arrested this summer after she fired a handgun into her sliding glass door, sending the bullet across a busy city road. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Copyright 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. Heitshusen, a former WHO-TV news anchor, said in a statement that she has received a variety of threats over the years due to her role as a journalist and now a candidate for office. She said she was devastated last August. No injuries were reported but, on Tuesday, the West Des Moines Democrat was arrested on a charge of reckless use of a firearm. Following the 2022 redistricting, the new District 28 encompasses southeast Dallas County, including Van Meter, Adel, Boone and parts of West Des Moines. Sonya Heitshusen is pictured on July 29, 2020, in Des Moines, Iowa, on one of her last days as a reporter and anchor for WHO-TV, an NBC affiliate. Sonya Heitshusen, 55, of West Des Moines is running for Iowa House District 28, which includes parts of West Des Moines, Van Meter and Adel. Her career experience includes working as a communications director for the Iowa Auditor of State and a television anchor and investigative reporter. width: 100%; Sonya Heitshusen, the WHO anchor who was charged with drunken driving on June 7, pleaded not guilty . } .inner_percentage { "It has to change. Eger is a survivor of Auschwitz. The bullet went through the glass of Heitshusen's sliding glass door, police said. $('.showResponses').on('click', () => { .inner_percentage.CrossFiled { I'm running to build a better Iowa for future generations. .leg-hnt-flex-row { Heitshusen, now public information officer for the Iowa State Auditor, got emotional recounting how the firing ended her award-winning journalism career. Where are all the women who are in TV broadcasting over 50? } The lawsuit alleges that Heitshusen faced numerous micro-aggressions over the years, as her bosses treated male anchors more favorably and her age ultimately became seen as a liability. They have a lot of great ideas. They are hard workers and can make a difference.". margin-top: 1em; .votebox-results-metadata-p { .widget-row.heading { background-color: #f9d334; For more reporting from the Associated Press, see below. While seemingly a joke, the comment reflected a deeper truth that her age was a concern to management, it alleges. .infobox p { }) We must finally put money into the Iowa Natural Resources and Outdoor $('.collapse').collapse('show'); width: 90%; How to vote | Nexstar, which has characterized Heitshusens firing as a reduction in its workforce, has faced other lawsuits in recent years from female reporters and anchors. The lawsuit seeks orders requiring Nexstar to pay Heitshusen unspecified damages and to take remedial actions, including training for management on gender and age stereotypes and an analysis of how female employees have been treated. Elections in 2023 | I've also heard from teachers who feel overworked and under attack. School districts | } } .widget-row.Green { A year after WHO-TV in Des Moines abruptly let her go, she is turning those skills on her former employer with a lawsuit challenging what she calls a widespread practice of removing older, female staffers from the air because of their looks. p.survey-response {margin-left:10px;} They have a lot of great ideas. The youngest of six children, Sonya bailed hay and tended to livestock alongside her brothers. Ballot measures, Who represents me? color: white; Copyright 2023 The Associated Press. .top_disclaimer { No crime was committed. I will fight to keep reproductive healthcare between a woman and her doctor. Heitshusen is represented by Des Moines civil rights attorneys Tom Newkirk and Jill Zwagerman, who specialize in showing how implicit biases can impact the workplace and have won landmark cases in the past. .image-candidate-thumbnail-wrapper .image-candidate-thumbnail { We need to address systemic biases holding women back . You dont see women on TV with gray hair and wrinkles, she told The Associated Press last week. The lawsuit alleges Heitshusen, 54, was "thrown out to pasture" because she was no longer seen as camera-worthy, after years in which she saw her male colleagues receive better treatment from management. U.S. Congress | She said she was devastated last August when she realized she could not report on the derecho, the powerful wind storm that ripped across the state. if (typeof $ != 'undefined') { } Heitshusen said she was blindsided in April 2020 when the stations news director, Rod Peterson, informed her that the station was exercising a clause in her contract to fire her without cause as a business decision. She said she was told the company valued her and might be able to find her a lower-paying digital position, but nothing on the air. Follow him on Twitter at @sgrubermiller. $('.showResponses').hide(); font-size: 1.25em; div.oneoff-scrollbox.regular { height:400px; overflow:scroll; margin:20px; padding:10px; border:1px solid gray; } } Sonya Heitshusen is pictured in 2020 in Des Moines, on one of her last days as a reporter and anchor for WHO-TV, an NBC affiliate. padding-left: 0; We must raise the bar, and we can do that by adequately paying healthcare providers for the essential services they deliver to people in their homes, hospitals, and long-term care facilities. She determined all of her children would receive the best education possible. overflow-y: auto; .results_row.winner { The survey questions appear in bold and are followed by Heitshusen's responses. who challenged Republican Rep. David Young, Gun safety taught at Iowa schools? "It has to change. Women are relevant after the age of 50. Women are relevant after the age of 50. width: 100% !important; font-size: 0.9em; Heitshusen left WHO-TV last summer after what the station called a remarkable 17-year stint in which she was a hard-hitting news reporter and an anchor also known for softer segments on fitness. .leg-hnt-flex-column { I thought, Im good enough to work here but Im not good enough to be on camera?

, See also:Iowa House of Representatives elections, 2022. Heitshusen previously worked as a news anchor and reporter at WHO 13 and WOI in the Des Moines metro. Heitshusen, now public information officer for the . WEST DES MOINES, Iowa The public information officer for Iowa State Auditor Rob Sand is charged with reckless discharge of a firearm after firing a gun from her West Des Moines home. .electionsectionheading { Read More Sonya Heitshusen is pictured on July 29, 2020, in Des Moines, Iowa, on one of her last days as a reporter and anchor for WHO-TV, an NBC affiliate. position: relative; Copyright Times Republican | https://www.timesrepublican.com | 135 West Main Street, Marshalltown, IA 50158 | 641-753-6611. They are hard workers and can make a difference.. A female former television anchor for WHO-TV in Des Moines, Iowa, filed an age and gender discrimination lawsuit Tuesday against the station's parent company, Nexstar Media Group Inc., alleging men were treated better by management, the Associated Press reported. This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. height: 22px; by Luke Martz | Oct 19, 2022 | Campaigns, Legislature, State Government. color: #888; text-align: center; } Both sitting legislators and candidates for office hear many personal stories from the residents of their district. | The lawsuit seeks orders requiring Nexstar to pay Heitshusen unspecified damages and to take remedial actions, including training for management on gender and age stereotypes and an analysis of how female employees have been treated. } They should be problem solvers who can work with others to find meaningful, long-term solutions to complex problems. .results_table { font-size: 2em; Take a look back at her remarkable career at WHO 13. Sonya Heitshusen. font-weight: bold; The lawsuit also alleges that male anchors received higher pay, more vacation time and more on-air recognition for journalism awards, and that they were not judged by their appearances. The lawsuit recounts an incident in which Peterson told the newsroom that Heitshusen had a reaction to the shingles vaccine but that others need not worry because only her advanced age caused her to need the shot in the first place. She said she was devastated last August when she realized she could not report on the derecho, the powerful wind storm that ripped across the state. }) The book details her time in the concentration camp but it's ultimately about forgiveness, healing, and transformation. I'm not just running to make Iowa better today. ap photo From 2020:I immediately thought it must be the way I look, Sonya Heitshusen says of leaving WHO. background-color: #ccc; Heitshusen, now public information officer for the Iowa State Auditor, got emotional recounting how the firing ended her award-winning journalism career. } font-weight: 200; Heitshusen is represented by Des Moines civil rights attorneys Tom Newkirk and Jill Zwagerman, who specialize in showing how implicit biases can impact the workplace and have won landmark cases in the past. text-align: center; This is hard work but Im up for the challenge. I also get my advocacy for education from my mother. According to court records, there are recordings of Heitshusen discussing the incident, but those are being kept confidential until the trial. background-color: #f9f9f9; Dec 2 #OTD in 1938, the first Kindertransport arrived in Great Britain. } Sonya Heitshusen, a Democrat who challenged Republican Rep. David Young in the 2022 election for West Des Moines-centered House District 28, was charged in June 2022 with reckless use of a firearm after police said she accidently fired a shot through a sliding glass door in her home. .votebox-results-cell--number { Court records show Heitshusen on Thursday pleaded to a reduced charge of reckless use of firearm with no injury or property damage, a simple misdemeanor. padding-bottom: 5px; padding-left: 10px; Click here to contact us for media inquiries, and please donate here to support our continued expansion. border-top: 1px solid #aaa; Heitshusen left WHO-TV last summer after what the station called a remarkable 17-year stint in which she was a hard-hitting news reporter and an anchor also known for softer segments on fitness. People have also expressed concern that legislation recently passed is creating an "unwelcoming" environment in Iowa. color: black; width: 50%; They need to be accessible and listen to the concerns of their constituents. display: inline-block; font-weight: bold; width: 150px; } Where are all the women who are in TV broadcasting over 50? Where are all the women who are in TV broadcasting over 50? Sonya grew up on a family farm in eastern Iowa near the Amana Colonies in Iowa County. This is the official Facebook page of Sonya Heitshusen. Friday was Sonya Heitshusen's final day at WHO 13. Nexstar, which has characterized Heitshusens firing as a reduction in its workforce, has faced other lawsuits in recent years from female reporters and anchors. padding-bottom: 8px; clearInterval(nTimer); margin-top: 1px; }) .votebox-covid-disclaimer { .inner_percentage.Democratic { } Above, Donald Trump, as a Republican presidential candidate, speaks with moderator Dave Price of WHO-TV during a town hall meeting at Des Moines Area Community College Newton Campus on November 19, 2015, in Newton, Iowa. } I will give a voice to the voiceless and fight to ensure every Iowan has equal opportunities to thrive. In farewell segments, the NBC affiliate did not mention any reason for her departure.Heitshusen said she was blindsided in April 2020 when the stations news director, Rod Peterson, informed her that the station was exercising a clause in her contract to fire her without cause as a business decision. She said she was told the company valued her and might be able to find her a lower-paying digital position, but nothing on the air. .race_header { For nearly three decades, Iowans allowed me into their living rooms to deliver the news. We are now middle of the pack because lawmakers have not fully funded public schools. float: right; Sonya was also instrumental in shutting down an organization that mistreated and neglected individuals with intellectual and physical disabilities. "I thought, 'I'm good enough to work here but I'm not good enough to be on camera?'" Please, Iowa House of Representatives elections, 2022. complete the Ballotpedia Candidate Connection Survey. She is the recipient of numerous Emmy, Edward R. Murrow, and Eric Sevareid awards. Prominent reporter and anchor Sonya Heitshusen leaves WHO-TV, I immediately thought it must be the way I look, Sonya Heitshusen says of leaving WHO, WOI-TV denies sex, age discrimination against former news director in federal court, Another senior TV newswoman in Iowa, April Samp, cites gender bias in her firing, this time by WOI, Your California Privacy Rights / Privacy Policy. .survey-result {padding:10px;} What do you perceive to be your state's greatest challenges over the next decade? vertical-align: middle; margin-bottom: -2px !important; vertical-align: top; The lawsuit recounts an incident in which Peterson told the newsroom that Heitshusen had a reaction to the shingles vaccine but that others need not worry because only her "advanced age" caused her to need the shot in the first place. Sonya Heitshusen was born in Marengo, Iowa. How a bipartisan bill could make it happen. He can be contacted [email protected], 715-573-8166 or on Twitter at@DMRMorris. padding-top: 8px; .large-date { text-align: center; margin-top: 30px; margin-bottom: 20px; font-size: 20px; font-weight: 600;} I vow to listen. She sought treatment for infertility in the 1950s when options for women were few and far between. SHEED FIL THE LAWSUIT TODAY AGAINST THE STAONTI AND ITS OWNER THE NEXT STAR MEDIA GROUP. The company has denied wrongdoing and the case is scheduled for trial in July. 352 talking about this. These rescue missions would save thousands of mostly Jewish children from an uncertain fate in Nazi Germany. ' recounted Heitshusen, who was the oldest female anchor in the stations history. .widget-row.Libertarian { Seven-year-old Dorrith Oppenheim arrived in July 1939. Hinson: Standing up for the Second Amendment, Rob Sand Kills Laura Belins Open Records Lawsuit. Heitshusen, 54, filed a lawsuit on Tuesday, Aug. 24, 2021, against the station's parent company, Nexstar Media Group, Inc., alleging she was removed from the air because of her age and gender. For subscribers:Gun safety taught at Iowa schools? Recreation Fund, which voters overwhelmingly approved in 2010. Who do you look up to? I will work with anyone who has the best interests of Iowans at heart. She said she was devastated last August when she realized she could not report on the derecho, the powerful wind storm that ripped across the state. I also believe elected officials need to be courageous. }, 100); State lawmakers approved redistricting maps in 2021 that mean much of current House District 19, which is now . Heitshusen, now public information officer for the Iowa State Auditor, got emotional recounting how the firing ended her award-winning journalism career. var nTimer = setInterval(function() { We also need to find innovative solutions to the childcare crisis. A society is judged by how it treats its most vulnerable.

} This is also affecting our workforce. I highly recommend it. padding-bottom: 3px; The charge of reckless use of a firearm causing property damage isan aggravated misdemeanor and could carry a sentence of up to two years if convicted. .mw-content-ltr td.votebox-results-cell--text, $('.hideResponses').on('click', () => { 1998 - 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. | All Rights Reserved. She said she was bringing the lawsuit to help spur a cultural shift in the industry that makes discrimination no longer acceptable. Ballotpedia does not edit or correct typographical errors unless the candidate's campaign requests it. } } I will listen to people with opposing viewpoints and to people from opposing parties. I will fight any legislation to further restrict access to abortion. display: inline-block; She was a trailblazer in many respects. The strikes left 34 people injured, including three children, and caused widespread damage. State executives | display: flex; Heitshusen, now public information officer for the Iowa State Auditor, got emotional recounting how the firing ended her award-winning journalism career. column-width: 175px; } They are hard workers and can make a difference.. WHO-TV longtime Investigative Reporter and Anchor Sonya Heitshusen says that she was dumped by the Nexstar station and she says she thinks it was the station saw her as too old to be a woman on TV. Sonya Heitshusen and Tom Walton are competing for the Democratic nomination for Iowa House District 28. . Kelly Clarkson's Home Collection Is Up to 74% Off During Way Day Deals, The Best Wayfair Way Day Deals 2023 Starting at $30. Heitshusen pled not guilty, claiming that the prosecution against her was politically motivated. margin-top: 0px; } background-color: #003388; ul.key-messages {list-style-type: none; margin-left:10px; } width: 100%; Sonya believes in giving back to the community, serving on the Boards of Directors for the Alzheimers Association and the Ankeny YMCA, and being active in numerous philanthropic organizations, such as the Leukemia Lymphoma Society, Team Run Free, and One Iowa to name a few. It has to change. border:1px solid #FFB81F; I also oppose vouchers for private schools. $('#candidate-connection-twitter-117956').on('click', () => { ga('send', 'event', 'surveycta', 'surveycta-click-twitter'); }); The lawsuit also alleges that male anchors received higher pay, more vacation time and more on-air recognition for journalism awards, and that they were not judged by their appearances. They're moving out of the state because one man is a teacher, who feels his profession is under attack. letter-spacing: 0.03em; border-radius: 50%; Her attorney, Grant Woodard, said she would vigorously defend herself in court. "I take full responsibility for the accident and we reported it to the police.

David Weintraub Neurosurgery, Sea Doo Spark 2up To 3up Conversion, Juvenile Detention Center Jobs, Nicole Drummond Obituary, Articles W